Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Gravy

Options
  • 31-12-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine has become vegetarian recently. I've invited her for dinner and know she adores gravy. Could anyone suggest a nice recipe please.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I think you can buy a Bisto that's ok, if you want the easy route. I know a few people here should be able to recommend it! Not sure exactly what Bisto box you are looking for...

Otherwise, make a sauce, as you normally would, flour and butter in a pot. Slowly add water until you have the required amount. Add some Vecon (available in health food stores) or a veggie stock cube (again, ask in health food store) and some soy sauce if you desire. Yum! Just made some 5 mins ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭WomanInWhite

Chop some shallots (maybe four of five) and garlic (colve or two)- or onions if you don't have them (one medium onion) - finely and fry them over a medium heat in about two ounces of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil until they are soft. add in some chopped mushrooms, about six button mushrooms and fry for a further minute or two.

the mix should be wet and buttery. Make sure you don't have the heat too high. then add in two heaped tablespoons of flour, mix well to absorb all the moisture. If you want it thick, add a little more flour, about one regular tablespoon.

You need to cook this mixture, which is a sort of roux, over a medium heat for a minute, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.

Then you need to add liquid. Start with a half glass of red wine if you have it. pour it in, and mix vigourously until it is combined. the mix will still be thick. then the easiest thing to do is to make up about 3/4 pint of vegetable gravy with granules from bisto or Tesco with boiling water and about 5 tspns of granules. use this as the stock to finish your gravy, adding it bit by bit to the mix and stirring all the time so it doesn't go lumpy until you have reached the desired consistency.

If you don't want to use bought gravy, use a stock cube or stock granules in half a pint of water, vegetarian obviously, or make your own stock by simmering an assortment of vegetables in two pints of water for two hours in a pan with a tightly fitting lid.

salt and pepper and you're done!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Bisto_Gravy_Granules.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

in my lazy moods I like to mix the Bisto gravy shown above with the Tesco Vegetable gravy (50/50 mix). I find it tastier. HTH

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm must try that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Hmm must try that!

dont lie, you would never mix yer bisto!

quiet or no more gravy cooked for you!
    This might be interesting to try apart from my 2 gravy specialities :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

I don't have a recipe, but I buy a vegetable gravy from Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

Bisto is the best! The "Vegetable" one is horrible. Watery and just awful!
    Sounds wierd but roast some mushrooms in a foil parcel in the oven. These are delish! You'll get some 'juice' when they cook. Use this with the Bisto. It's great.

Advertisement