Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Battle of the Comedians competition?

Options
  • 31-12-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would there be any interest in participating in an FA cup style competition to determine Ireland's favourite up and coming comedian as voted by the users of Boards.ie?

The way I envisage it is - first, I get nominations for comedians to be included (general rule being that if you can point to something they have done that would see them recognised by people outside comedy circles they are ineligible - i.e. No Tommy Tiernan, Andrew Maxwell or Andrew Stanley - There may be a bit of discussion about who's eligible and who isn't so if anyone would like to help me with this, I'd welcome any volunteers)

Depending on number of names I get, a random number will be chosen to receive byes while there will be a qualifying round (again drawn at random) to even the contestants out to a factor of 2 (16, 32 or 64....) From then on there will be no byes....

Rounds will look like this

Com A v Com B
    Com C v Com D

and the winner of each round will be decided by who receives the most votes...

Votes will be cast by either deleting the name of the other comedian in the tie or by Bolding the name of the comedian you want to vote for

Example vote:

Com A - Style 1
    Com C v Com D - Style 2

If you want to comment on why you voted a certain way, that would add an interesting element to the thread as well....

As all draws will be random, there may be 2 potential finalists facing off against one another in the qualifying round, while at the same time 2 comedians who you have no awareness of also facing each other.

For votes to count, each tie must be voted on so if you don't know either comedian, just flip a coin or vote by who has the best name or any other arbitrary means of choosing....

What do you think guys - Is the stand up comedy forum active enough that this could get off the ground?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Can't we just skip all that and give the trophy to Robbie Bonham?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Given the amount of interest, yes we sure can - only problem is that I din't spring for a trophy! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Legend_DIT wrote: »
    Given the amount of interest, yes we sure can - only problem is that I din't spring for a trophy! :rolleyes:

tbh man I'm not surprised at the lack of interest, while comedians love getting feedback, the comedy scene is competitive enough as it is, without specifically pitting new comedians against one another. the politics on the scene is ridiculous, i think this competition wouldn't help that at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Yeah I guess I can kinda see your point there. I was just thinking it'd be a bit of craic and I din't take into account the possibility of bruised egos or the like.

I retract my original post! :D

Advertisement