Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info about grants for 2010 in light of the 'recession'...?

Options
  • 31-12-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi people!
    Im applying for a place in college for 2010 (either Trinity or D.I.T)it will be a 4 year full time undergraduate degree, and I am currentley unemployed so am recieving social welfare payments, and rent allowance (no kids & single so recieving those alone). I have done a little resesrch on grants; I know that you apply for some through your local council, others through the Dept. of Social & Family Affairs, and there are other grants available such as the Millenium fund.. well Im wondering what the situation is now with grants and funds and their availability since all the cut backs on Social welfare and practically everything else?Are there any changes in how one should apply or in eligability (i know those recieving BETA are affected in this way, but is anyone else?)
    And is there a paticular application route or guidelines' for someone in a situation such as myself? (as explained above-recieving weekly dole & rent allowance)
    Where would i be able to find out exactly what im entitled to and what grant system i should apply too?(for example should i be applying to dublin city council or...?) And i was also wondering when you can apply for the grants.. do you send in like a provisional application once you have sent off your CAO & College applications or must you wait untill you have actually been offered a place and accecpted it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok,

chances are you will be elligable for BTEA since your recieving a social payment.
    as long as your on this payment between now and september when you go to college, you should be elligable.
    have a read here
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

now, if your entitled to the BTEA scheme, then you will be entitled to apply for rent allowance.
    when i say apply, there are limit's on how much your allowed to pay on rent per month.
    have a read here:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW58/Pages/1WhatisTheRentAllowancefortenantsaffectedbydecontrolofrents.aspx

now, IF your entitled to the BTEA, when it comes to the grant, you will loose out.
    Since the budget came out, all NEW applicants for financial assistance in college who are elligable to recieve the BTEA payment, then you wont be elligable for the maintanance grant.

honestly, if you get the BTEA + rent allowance, you will have more money every week than if you just had the grant.

btea = 200 odd euro per week.
    rent allowance = average 40 - 45 per week.

grant (IF you get the full grant + non adjacant grant) = 180 per week.

also just to add, your allowed to take a part time job with no real limit on hours as long as it does not affect your attendance in college while on the BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hey, thanks for all that, it was really helpful... but one thing that has me freaking out is that you said rent allowance would only be 40-50 per week!!?????? i get 96 now..so are they going to cut me? and with the BETA, how do i afford my books and all the other school fee's..jesus im freaking out now, i can barely afford to live as it is so now im wondering is this college thing a big mistake............

Advertisement