Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Shed Requirements

Options
  • 31-12-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a concrete shed built roughly of size 14ft x 8ft.
    I was just wondering how many blocks I would need for this??
    Also I am looking to put some electric Gym equipment in it, would this have any impact on the type of block I should use, either breeze or solid, or should the shed just be insulated to accomodate equipment like this?

I read in previous posts that you can expect to pay between 70 cents and €1 per block laid?? On top of this charge how much does a block cost?

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ianjf wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a concrete shed built roughly of size 14ft x 8ft.
    I was just wondering how many blocks I would need for this??
    Also I am looking to put some electric Gym equipment in it, would this have any impact on the type of block I should use, either breeze or solid, or should the shed just be insulated to accomodate equipment like this?

That will be about 34 blocks perimeter, and about 11 or 12 courses high, so about 400 blocks.

There is no real need to insulate it, especially if there is no heat source as the intermittant usage will mean it's going to be the same temp as external anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

ianjf wrote: »
    you can expect to pay between 70 cents and €1 per block laid?? On top of this charge how much does a block cost?

Blocks can be as much as 50% cheaper if you buy direct from the manufacturer at circa 50cent a block (9inch solids) in bails of 230 or so.
    You'll need two bails and a trailor to collect same as not many manufacturers will deliver just 2 or 3 bails.

Unfortunately blocks & conc bricks can be alot dearer from your local Builders mechants but they will deliver. Best to ring around locally, get 3 quotes and see who gives the best offer!

If the equipment is very sensitive to damp then I'd insulate the shed. A concrete box can retain heat and it can retain cold - an uninsulated concrete shed would be very cold tonight!
    The heat from a south facing window together will regular use of a heater will help.... its -4 outside now, it was -8 so that severe temp could destroy electric equipment. Insulation is still relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RKQ wrote: »
    The heat from a south facing window together will regular use of a heater will help.... its -4 outside now, it was -8 so that severe temp could destroy electric equipment. Insulation is still relatively cheap.

Without a heater on everyday, the insulation would be useless. And the outside temp would be the same as the inside. Plus, a highly insuklated space could over heat during usage.

The correct solution really depends on the equipment and activity being used, how often its used, and any other uses for the space.

Advertisement