Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem syncing particular MP3s to N95

Options
  • 31-12-2009 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

See attached screenshot (error 1). Why is this error happening? I know my question is very vague but I really can't work it out.

Is there something I can use to confirm a file is a valid Mp3 file etc? It plays fine in Media Player Classic. I get the following error (see error 2 attached) when I try to play in WMP but it does play ok.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Not too sure about that one, but the "media usage" would indicate that it may be DRM protected (I think that's what it's called) which means that particular song can only be played on the PC it was downloaded to and can't be transferred around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

cormie wrote: »
    Not too sure about that one, but the "media usage" would indicate that it may be DRM protected (I think that's what it's called) which means that particular song can only be played on the PC it was downloaded too and can't be transferred around.

yeah...

Or: have you tried transfering it to phone by just copying it ot mass storage/memory card?

And try converting it?

Could also be that the file is incomplete. i know that media player classic can handle incomplete vids downloaded via youtube when wmp pretends the clips is unplayable. Most pc suites like Nokia's etc offer to convert mp3s to aac before transfer. Give that a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

cormie wrote: »
    Not too sure about that one, but the "media usage" would indicate that it may be DRM protected (I think that's what it's called) which means that particular song can only be played on the PC it was downloaded to and can't be transferred around.

The songs play fine though .. so this would suggest no DRM?
    strecker wrote: »
    yeah...

Or: have you tried transfering it to phone by just copying it ot mass storage/memory card?

And try converting it?

Could also be that the file is incomplete. i know that media player classic can handle incomplete vids downloaded via youtube when wmp pretends the clips is unplayable. Most pc suites like Nokia's etc offer to convert mp3s to aac before transfer. Give that a try.

The files copy fine and stuff but won't sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I doubt that it's an mp3. There's a single copyright bit in mp3 files but it's never been used for anything.

I suspect that you have a different format (wma or similar) with a file extension set to mp3 in error. Windows media Player will still happily play it but it isn't an mp3 just because it has an mp3 extension. And whatever format it actually is has built-in DRM that actually counts for something and hence it won't play on the second device. It doesn't have a problem copying the file (or probably any file) but the phone knows it's not allowed to play it as the DRM won't allow it to play on anything but the original machine (on which I assume you created the file)

Options: Do something about the DRM built-in to the file (that's as far as I can go under forum rules), re-rip the track to mp3 (or at least remembering to untick the "copy protect music" tick box in WMP if you're using that).

That's assuming it's not just a corrupt mp3. Which is also possible with the information you've supplied. Rename the extension to wma (as the most probable alternative) and see if media player still gives you the same warning when you try to play it. I'd check the extended attributes to make sure what format it actually was but that's probably beyond your current tech abilities so pointless going into that.

Will try the renaming trick later on and see what happens.

Not too sure about all these attributes you mention, assume a quick google will find me a program to check.

I'm gonna try burn to music cd with nero too and rip back, if nero recognises it ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Random wrote: »
    Will try the renaming trick later on and see what happens.

Not too sure about all these attributes you mention, assume a quick google will find me a program to check.

I'm gonna try burn to music cd with nero too and rip back, if nero recognises it ok.

Rather than burning it to a CD, just create an image of the CD then mount the ISO and rip that.

Alternatively, rip it to WAV and back to MP3 using CDex or something similar.

Yah I have noteburner I'll try that. Didn't think of cdex, will try that after. Thanks

Advertisement