Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's your favourite place to fish for salmon?

Options
  • 31-12-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Where do you like fishing for salmon?

I'd say it's the only fish I haven't caught yet and I wouldn't mind doing a bit of travelling to try caught my first! Not great on the fly rod so somewhere I could spin and fish the worm.

I know places like the Moy and blackwater are good, where's your favourite place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm not a particular fan of salmon fishing. To much hit and miss. When i do fish for them i prefer smaller rivers. Little spate streams high in the mountains in west Cork and Kerry, just after a flood, are my idealistic spots. Not too much of a fan of the large rivers like the Blackwater.

Your best bet is to go to an established decent salmon fishery. The Moy would be a good bet and make sure you get some local knowledge before you set out. Summer obviously better too - the grilse are that bit easier to tempt than the spring salmon around this time of year.

Tight lines :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The rivers around west cork are the business if you know where to go!
    I do.Roll on paddies day (season starts then). Just for the rest of you guys the small spate rivers down here are best fished with worm on the rising and falling flood,clear water conditions use a flying c (bright sky black lure and dark sky light lure), 90% of the pools dont have the room for fly fishing, no space for the back cast(i think that`s what its called).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

and best bet is keeping little gems like that to yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

SeaFields wrote: »
    and best bet is keeping little gems like that to yourself ;)

But sure he hasn't really said much to be honest just the same as you west Cork.

I'm from the midlands and it would probably take me 3/4 hours to drive to a good spot that's why I'd like to know.

MP22 fancy sending a PM on where a good spot would be? I only fish for the sport by the way so it's catch and release for me.

Anyone ever watch Matt hayes fishing. There was a show think it was called the great rod race where they had to catch ever type of fish going. Matt Hayes was fishing somewhere in Ireland it was a lovely little area and the salmon were jumping all over the place anyone know is was he was fishing? Looked all over the net but can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

the Drowes river on the border of Leitrim and Donegal has the first salmon of the year award tomorrow (Jan 1st), always draws a big crowd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Driving for 3 to 4 hours to a river you never seen before is a unlikely way to catch your first salmon, if you are that keen let me know when you are going to be in west cork for a few days from mid june to the end of july, when its raining,
    the fish are running and you can spend 10 hours a day fishing,(thats what it will take).
    great rod race is on torrent sites if your into that!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It was definitely worth this chap's while going to the Drowes - first salmon of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

the crana river august best time

Advertisement