Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan Crochet Hook

Options
  • 31-12-2009 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

Hi anyone know where I can buy an Afghan crochet hook in Ireland. I'd like to buy it here as I'd probably have it quicker than if I bought it over the net. If all else fails I'll buy it there.

for those that don't know what I'm talking about for all the world it can look like a knitting neddle about the same approx lenght but with a crochet hook head.

Oh and check out the new crochet mag going on sail looks good for beginners etc. Haven't gotten my hand on a copy yet. but looks good for anyone wanting to learn the basics.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

I didn't know crochet needles for afghans were any different than regular ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

netanyahu wrote: »
    I didn't know crochet needles for afghans were any different than regular ones!

Neither did I, LOL, all my afghans were made on normal hooks. I do have one crochet hook that's probably more than double the length of my normal crochet hooks but can't remember why I bought it and definitely didn't get it in Ireland. I don't think I have ever seen them locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Afghan crochet is a type of crochet that creates quite solid work, a bit like crocheting entirely in singles. You have a lot of stitches on the needle at the same time, which is why you need a long needle. Its also called Tunisian crochet. http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/tunisian.htm
    This doesn't get trishw any nearer to getting a hook as I have no idea other than internet shopping. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

I know The Yarn Room had Tunisian crochet hooks. I checked the website but they don't seem to have them on it at the moment. I'd recommend you give Stephanie a ring as she's very helpful and should be able to get it for you.

If you're on Ravelry you should be able to find out where you'd get one in the Irish crocheters group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

Ravelry is an AMAZING website <3 ahhhhh :D
    Cool, I've seen tunisian crochet online and in a book I have but I didn't realised you used a different hook! Will defo have a look into this now, sounds interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

My problem was that a lot of the US sites don't delivery to outside of the US. I could get it sent to my cousin in NY but they're busy with a new baby at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

None of my usual US sites will deliver outside the US & Canada. But there is a site I've used in the past - sewessential.co.uk - that has the hooks you're looking for.

I've never seen that sort of crochet stitch before, looks interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littleknit

I know that Springwools in Ballymount have the afghan hooks in stock. I know that they also have a book in stock on afgan crochet.
    Hope this is of some help.

Just to bring this thread to a close I got the needle and cable in This is Knit in the Powerscourt Town House centre on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 astarte

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 giammarcoschis

Just in case somebody else is looking for Afghan crochet hooks, these can be bought online at Go Woolly: http://www.gowoolly.ie/crochet-hooks-aluminium-tunisian-30cm/

talk about zombie thread.

Thanks for the update. But I got one in Purl Soho in NYC earlier this year :D

Advertisement