Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me decide (head melted)

Options
  • 30-12-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Ok so I ventured out to cyclesuperstore today to get set up with a new bike with my shiny b2w voucher burning a hole in my pocket. First off, just to be clear

1 - This will be my first proper bike.
    2 - I hope to use it mainly for commuting to work 9/10 miles.
    3 - I would like to potentially do my first sprint triathalon next year but the bike would be the first step to achieving this goal.
    4 - I will go for the odd weekend recreational cycle as my brother and sis have already gotten decent bikes (giant defy 3 09)
    5 - I have up to 1000e to spend on a bike + accessories as part of the Scheme.

From talking to the sales assistant, I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Cube Aerial '10
    Lapierre Audacio 200
    Lapierre Shaper 500

Would people agree that these are the best bikes in the price range or are there any other bikes that I should consider?

Most annoyingly, I am still undecided as to which style to get racer v cruiser.
    - What advice can people give me on this given my points above?
    - Will the racer be a lot more uncomfortable?

Of the two racer style bikes, I believe the Shimano Sora is superior to the Shimano 2300 so therefore the Cube should be the better bike.
    - Is it as simple as that or is there anything else that should be taken into consideration for the lapierre? (because to be honest I prefer how the lapierre looks)

Ok, in addition to the bike I was also planning to buy the following accessories:
    Shoes & Clips (basic enough DMT shoes) 100e "offer"
    Helmet (basic bell solar)
    Lights (EL220 & LD150)
    Padded waterproof 3/4 Altura Pants
    U Lock (buffo)
    Tube, Repair kit & clips
    Saddle bag (basic)
    SKS wese high pressure minipump
    Bottle and holder (basic)

All of the above including "corporate discount" of 12.5% came to approx 990.

Is this a good deal? i.e. Should I bother getting all the accessories as part of this purchase to take full advantage of the c2w Scheme or would I be able to shop around online and get these items elsewhere at a similarly reduced price?

If I should avoid getting all the accessories now, are there any other bikes that I should consider in the 900e range?

Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

moesymoe wrote: »
    Most annoyingly, I am still undecided as to which style to get racer v cruiser.
    1 - This will be my first proper bike. ...Go the whole hog and buy a Racer.
    2 - I hope to use it mainly for commuting to work 9/10 miles. ...Racer, I and many others commute on one.
    3 - I would like to potentially do my first sprint triathalon next year but the bike would be the first step to achieving this goal. ...Definitely Racer.
    4 - I will go for the odd weekend recreational cycle as my brother and sis have already gotten decent bikes (giant defy 3 09) ...Anyone who gets into cycling for weekend spins eventually opts for Racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Will the racer be a lot more uncomfortable?

Properly adjusted drop bars are in fact the most comfortable option.You have three different hand/riding positions. Just start off with them good and high (shop will do this for you)-level with seat or just slightly below and you can lower them as you get fitter/more flexible.Most serious long distance touring cyclists use drop bars-for comfort.E.g
    http://www.josiedew.co.uk/index.htm

I think the myth of drop bars being uncomfortable came from old cheap "ten speed racers" which came with a low "racy" bar position which could not be adjusted easily.

Of the three bikes you mentioned I'd go for the sora Cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I commute on my racer although the journey is small at only 5km each way. Like said, a properly setup racer is much more comfortable than a commuter bike assuming you choose relaxed geometry. The multiple hand positions are great and should you decide to go on recreational spins, you'll be very thankful of the faster, more comfortable racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭moesymoe

Thanks for all the feedback and now at least I have decided to go with a racer over a cruiser.

However I need a little more help to decide on which specific bike to get, I am leaning more towards the cube aerial versus the lapierre audacio 200 for the following reasons:

Crankset - Shimano Sora FC3403 50x39x30, Integrated BB versus Shimano 2300 with Shimano 113mm BB
    Derailleur - Sora versus 2300
    Shifters - Sora 9 speed versus 2300
    Brakes - Sora versus Promax RC-452 Aluminium
    Wheels - Shimano WH-R500 versus Mach1 CFX 700C 32 Holes / Shimano hubs
    Tyres - Schwalbe Blizzard 25x622 versus Hutchinson Equinox Black TR 700x23C
    Chain - Shimano CN-HG53 versus ?
    Headset - FSA versus Alloy Semi-Integrated 1-1/8
    Seatpost - Ritchey versus Alloy 31.6X300mm Black
    Weight - 9.3kg versus 9.9kg

However,
    Fork - Aluminium on the Cube versus Carbon on the Lapierre

The only thing holding me back from being completely happy with the Cube is the fact that the front fork on the Lapierre is Carbon and as I understand it the main advantage of Carbon over aluminium is less weight and increased shock absorbtion.

- The weight thing is a non issue due to the fact that the Cube is .6kg lighter overall.
    - Therefore how much of a difference will the carbon fork make in terms of comfort when riding? i.e. Is it noticable and significant enough to make the lapierre worth considering?

And lastly, should the Giant Defy 3 get a look in here as an alternative in a similar price bracket?
    + Giant has carbon forks
    + similar Sora groupset to the cube
    - worse wheelset
    - worse brakes
    - heavier at 10.6 kg (as per Giant website)
    Giant Defy 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

The most important element in choosing a new bike is aesthetics. The cube wins this hands down so gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

c0rk3r wrote: »
    The most important element in choosing a new bike is aesthetics. The cube wins this hands down so gets my vote.

A big +1. If the bike looks crap, you wont cycle it.
    Nothing beats riding a good lookin bike.

Off the peg bikes will always present a comprimise somewhere. Head melting as that might be you have to decide where you want to accept the comprimise.

I think the Giant looks the best value of the three. I would personally prefer an honest set of brand x 3 cross wheels to those Shimano 500s.
    Lots of cheap brakesets work well -especially if you put good pads on them.

A few hundred grammes either way aint gonna make a noticable difference and the published weights of bikes can be taken with a pinch of salt usually anyway.

Please stop calling them racers-they are road bikes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

c0rk3r wrote: »
    ROK ON wrote: »
    A big +1. If the bike looks crap, you wont cycle it.
    Nothing beats riding a good lookin bike.

-1 to both of you. You won't do loads of miles on a bike if you feel like it's giving you carpel-tunnel, no matter how pretty it is.

I would not advise anyone to ever buy a bike with an aluminium fork. That cube frame is already quite stiff and "communicative"; pairing it with an alu fork might make it a buzzy nightmare if my experience with alu forks is anything to go by. Carbon or steel are both much superior to alu for forks.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

niceonetom wrote: »
    -1 to both of you. You won't do loads of miles on a bike if you feel like it's giving you carpel-tunnel, no matter how pretty it is.

I would not advise anyone to ever buy a bike with an aluminium fork. That cube frame is already quite stiff and "communicative"; pairing it with an alu fork might make it a buzzy nightmare if my experience with alu forks is anything to go by. Carbon or steel are both much superior to alu for forks.

+1, Irish roads are very buzzy

Just to throw you more, did you consider the Cube Peleton? http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=31880 better groupset, carbon fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Had the same choice to make last year myself. Chose the Lapierre and it was the right decision. Carbon fork is far superior to an aluminium one especially on our crap roads. A friend of mine also bought tha Lapierre before Xmas and he loves it.Looks great too.

• Advertisement

I have looked at the Cube Peleton but it is slightly out of my price range unfortunately.

Looking at it again, the Giant Defy 3 looks like the obvious choice. Carbon fork, Sora groupset, FSA Crankset. Would I be right?

The reason I had discounted Giant initially is because when I was in cyclesuperstore they really talked the Giant Defy down, saying it was a cheap brand and the handlebars, stem and wheels were not branded which makes a big difference as well as the quality of the aluminium frame not being as good as the 7005 frame on the Lapierre or Cube. They also said that the Lapierre/Cube could be considered as the Skoda and the Giant as the Volkswagan. i.e. you pay a premium for the Giant brand but don't get the same value for money.

Is any of this true in terms of Giant bikes?

I can't find any negative reviews of this bike anywhere and as it is cheaper than the other two.

Here's a positive review of the Defy 3:
    http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail/0,7989,s1-16-95-2137-0,00.html

Also some other suggestions: http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Buying_a_bicycle

I ride a Giant (an SCR which is the precursor to the Defy). It has a slightly higher spec with a Tiagra Groupset. It has served me well. Did plenty of sportives and loads of commuting on it. I had to upgrade the wheels as ones that came with it weren't up to the pounding of Dublin Streets.

I plan to give racing a go on it, unless I cave in and buy the Felt I have my eye on.

really talked the Giant Defy down,

If I bike looks like better value and the bike shop are trying to steer you away from it-I for one would be wondering if maybe their margin ain't as good on Giants.Not stating this as a fact but would consider it.

As for the wheels-No bike at that price point is gonna come with great wheels. I wouldn't worry about the brand. Shimano make some crap wheels and ,if some of the reviews I have seen are to be believed,those 500s are no great shakes.
    I wouldn't pay extra money for a branded stem and bars-Giant produce a lot of their own finishing stuff afaik and it ok for the money.
    At this price point you are not going to get a Rolls Royce.Unfortunately the real value in bikes atm is at a slightly higher price level I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I'm riding a Giant SCR1 currently and had a similar experience with Cycle Superstore last year. At the time, the Giant bikes were better spec'd and cheaper prices - I got the SCR1 for €750 in the end.
    Cyclesuperstore were recommending the Lapierre bike over the Giant even though the Giant had a better gruppo all round and better wheels. Excuses of better feel or whatnot were given which didn't fly.

Feel people I know have the Defy range and have done some good distances on them without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

papac wrote: »
    If I bike looks like better value and the bike shop are trying to steer you away from it-I for one would be wondering if maybe their margin ain't as good on Giants.Not stating this as a fact but would consider it.

Interesting point - From my own experience and from reading threads on here, Cyclesuperstore do seem to 'push' the Lapierre brand on everybody who is undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Personally i'd put more money into the bike and leave/skimp on the accessories for the moment, you'll end up getting more accessories in the next few weeks/months anyway, and can usually get stuff on sale.
    I'd try get something with Tiagra groupset or above too if possible, and defo go for the carbon fork. e.g Giant Defy 2

are you restricted to cycle superstore?

Yes, limited to the cycle superstore due to a deal with work.

kenmc wrote: »
    Personally i'd put more money into the bike and leave/skimp on the accessories for the moment, you'll end up getting more accessories in the next few weeks/months anyway, and can usually get stuff on sale.
    I'd try get something with Tiagra groupset or above too if possible, and defo go for the carbon fork. e.g Giant Defy 2
    +1 on all that

Originally Posted by kenmc viewpost.gif

+1 on all that

+1 Again. I'd blow the budget on the bike and collect the accessories as you go.Bikes at the next level are far better value generally I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Looking through the Cyclesuperstore website your choices are limited, to go up to Tiagra you have Cube Peleton €854, Giant Defy 2 €967 or the Lapierre Audacio 400 €1045.

Of the bikes you have linked then the Giant Defy 3 is the one. Once the bug bites you'll be posting questions on what to upgrade, best to get the bike at the top end of your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

+1 on the Giant Defy, I have a Defy 2.5 and have commuted on it (Bray to City Centre), it is a lovely bike, ther reason that I didn't go for a Defy 3 is that I thought that the Sora gear leaver (little plastic sticky out bit) was just irritating, also being a big lad, I thought that triple chainrings on the front was a good idea (it still is for me!), it is a nice enough bike that I know that it is definitely not the limiting factor and that throwing money at it will not make it faster, so that just leaves me!

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the help and advice. Went for the giant defy 3 in the end. Very happy with the bike. I think it was definitely the right choice out of the three.

The guys in the shop put me on a M/L frame size, 53.5cm. However, they didn't do much to "fit" the bike except make sure I could reach the pedals. :confused:

Concerned the bike frame is slightly on the big side as I am only 5'10, average build.

Is there any straight forward sanity checks I can do to make sure the set up, (frame, seat, handlebars) is ok for me and that I am in the right position (or thereabouts)?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Russman

I'd say you should be fine with M/L. I got fitted by cycle surgery for both the Giant Defy and Rapid (didn't buy either as it happened) and M/L was grand, I'm about 5' 10" and normal enough build (I think :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1 that frame is probably right, I am 6ft and ride L in Giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is there any straight forward sanity checks I can do to make sure the set up, (frame, seat, handlebars) is ok for me and that I am in the right position (or thereabouts)?

Set the saddle height so that could can just about pedal with your heels. That will give you a bit of leg bend when you pedal with the balls of your feet. If you have too much height, you may over-ankle (i.e. go excessively toe-down) at the bottom of the stroke to compensate - this is a clue.

Check for reach by holding the furthest part of the drops and bending until your forearms are horizontal. Your elbow should form a 90 degree bend, ish. This should give you a comfy bend when on hoods or in drops. Whilst doing this, check that your wrist angles on the hoods and drops are natural, i.e. your hands are like they would be when you go to shake someones hand. Check this throughout your range of motion as you bend forward

Make sure you can look up a fair bit from the horizontal, i.e. you are not cycling with your neck at the limit of it's range of movement.

Check that you have a consistent bend in your spine (a little, not a lot) running from the base of your spine up to your shoulder blades. Don't hunch.

+1 on frame right size. I am same size as you and that is the size I use.

Get seat height right-Lots of ways (google) but they all put you at the same ballpark.Lumens way is a good rough start.

Saddle fore and aft next imo. KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) roughly. Loads online about this.

Bar height- Depends on yourself and your flexibility.I would start slightly below seat height (imperative that bike is on level ground)- about 20mm-This will give you a nice uprightish position to start.
    If you do all this and you are feeling a bit stretched out you may need a shorter stem-more upright position often demands this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Finneranjames

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Interesting point - From my own experience and from reading threads on here, Cyclesuperstore do seem to 'push' the Lapierre brand on everybody who is undecided.

I agree i was there yesterday and found them pushy on Lapierre also found out since there an agent for that brand.....

Advertisement