Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding sash windows, coastal site

Options
  • 30-12-2009 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all, we're in the planning stages of restoring a coastal cottage in Co. Waterford. I'm looking for info on window types which people have used for similar projects/sites - the existing are beautiful multi panel sliding sash but are well passed it with rot and must be replaced. Want to replace with similar style windows but nervous about whether wood only windows and aluclad types will withstand the elements in this exposed site, haven't seen upvc sash windows yet to judge..
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'd say the aluclad would up to the task alright. In Peter Kay says hobnobs are the marines of biscuits, well I think aluclad are the marines of windows. The only thing is I've never seen aluclad sash windows. Presume they're out there! Pvc would definitely be up to the task. Smashing product that offers excellent value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Hi all, we're in the planning stages of restoring a coastal cottage in Co. Waterford. I'm looking for info on window types which people have used for similar projects/sites - the existing are beautiful multi panel sliding sash but are well passed it with rot and must be replaced. Want to replace with similar style windows but nervous about whether wood only windows and aluclad types will withstand the elements in this exposed site, haven't seen upvc sash windows yet to judge..
    Thanks

I've never seen a set of old windows that could not be restored to their former glory yet.
    Pvc would definitely be up to the task. Smashing product that offers excellent value for money.

PVC is an abomination and should be banned in every single country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I don't agree one bit. I think pvc windows perform brilliantly for the cost. However, I think woodeffect pvc looks shocking. Pvc shouldn't be made look like wood. You can spot the fake look from a long way. All i'm saying before this gets too far off topic.

The problem is uPVC is not something for the long term (you might end up having to replace them after only 20 years and if you damage them you have to replace them), I see that one of the big suppliers of alu-clad sliding sash windows in this country has been slated a number of times on this board for a poor performing product and only a couple of years ago it was being heralded as the best product in the business.

Peoples views change over the course of time what people are saying is the next best thing well if you want to know what's best have a look at what's there now and how long has it lasted.

If you maintain a window it will last you longer than a life time.

OP I have seen many sash windows over the course of my career and in 99% of cases the rot is in the bottom sections of the windows, they can be fixed.

I'm not commenting in this thread again (unless asked to do so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 defender110

SLF thanks for the words of encouragement for restoring the existing windows. Upon reading your reply I took another look at the windows and reckon many of them may well be salvageable. Ultimately though the windows must be functional as well as having the right aesthetic - even restored, can the old windows match the performance of new technology available in wooden sash designs(sealing, double glazing etc)? I don't want to have a beautiful looking but functionally poor set of windows..
    If the old ones can't give the required performance, what would you recommend for our situation?
    Thanks
    def110

• Advertisement

SLF thanks for the words of encouragement for restoring the existing windows. Upon reading your reply I took another look at the windows and reckon many of them may well be salvageable. Ultimately though the windows must be functional as well as having the right aesthetic - even restored, can the old windows match the performance of new technology available in wooden sash designs(sealing, double glazing etc)? I don't want to have a beautiful looking but functionally poor set of windows..
    If the old ones can't give the required performance, what would you recommend for our situation?
    Thanks
    def110

First I'm in the business of restoration of old windows so I'm biased but won't travel outside Dublin.

I believe it's possible to bring old windows up to a very high standard might not be as high as some of the super duper new windows on the market but since you live in an old house with un-insulated walls it won't make much difference (IMHO).

Here is a study from a respected university http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/thermal-windows.pdf

Have a look at page 16 and here it says

Over the range of pressure differences, the draught proofed window shows an 86% reduction in air leakage compared with the as-received condition.

One of the biggest problems with old sash windows and old houses in general is air leakage if you block up the holes (air leaks) it makes the house warmer but while doing the windows you must do it all over the house when I do jobs of this nature I draught-proof the front and back doors while I'm doing the windows.

I have noticed that people forget to check the pointing around the windows when they are looking at the woodwork, the last job I did there was a 2 inch gap between the brick work and the window frame (had to remove the frame completely and re-install it).

I did a job for a guy in Dublin City when he moved in, he had the house insulated with 4 inch Kingspan, the lintels over his windows were rotten so I had to replace them but in doing so I noticed that his walls behind the insulation were drenched with water (condensation). I have spoken to architects since and they tell me one of the reasons his lintels over the windows could have rotted was because of all the water being stored behind the insulation.

My advice to you is to keep the windows get them draught-proofed, restored fix any pointing around the windows and put up heavy curtains if you have shutters get them back working again.

Draught-proof the front and back doors.

Insulate the attic.

Do the smoke test (small lighted candle and you follow the trail through the house to find your air leaks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 defender110

SLF thanks for the reply and the link to the uni report - really helpful info in there, I now have real options :D
    Def110

SLF thanks for the reply and the link to the uni report - really helpful info in there, I now have real options :D
    Def110

Anything is better than that PVC crap...

Advertisement