Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox......dead :(

Options
  • 30-12-2009 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

Howeya gents, long time no post, been mad busy working.

Down to business, took the car out about an hour and a half ago and not a problem, parked her up, went to do the lotto in the bookies, came back out, started her up, clutch down (brand spanking new clutch I might add) went to go in to gear and the gear stick felt as if I was whisking a bowl of water! There was no spring in it or nothing, if I pushed it to the side it stayed there rather than flick back to the middle, I was also able to rotate the gear stick 360 degrees without being obstructed by any gears, she's parked up on the road and will be recovered in the morning, but I though I'd ask if anyone knows what to expect, will I need a whole new gear box or could it just be a selector lever or something or other?

Also anyone have any idea on price? She's a 02 Peugeot 206 1.1

P.s. should I look to the garage who replaced my clutch? Maybe they damaged my gearbox in the process? I've never had any issues with my gearbox before I had the clutch changed and the garage told me my gearbox was fine but my clutch was basically nearly dust :D

Cheers laddies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Sounds like a linkage might have just popped off. Talk to the garage that did the clutch. I suspect the gearbox itself is probably OK

:) + 1, sounds like the gearbox is ok. Give them a ring asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I could get her into forward gears, but didn't have a clue what gear she was going into so didn't risk driving home (checked by slowly lifting the clutch till she pulled), reverse was a complete and utter no go though :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Could be a linkage issue, which would be a simple enough fix.

Just got a text off a friend saying the council parking warden stuck a ticket on my car, ten mins before you're allowed park for free in the on-street spaces, I bought a ticket for the hour which brought it up to ten to six, also there's a sticker on the car saying it's broken down and will be recovered early 2moro before on-street pay parking starts, you sir (parking warden) are a cnut, why couldn't you give me the grace of ten mins eh? there was loads of other empty spaces so not like I was stopping anyone from payin for 10 mins of parking!!! Life's a bitch lads :D

• Advertisement

Twas only a gear linkage :D thanks for replies, any ideas on how much im looking for a repair? guessing a big labour cost?

Advertisement