Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg 'V' Eircom

Options
  • 30-12-2009 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Heads up
    Anyone who moves into a dwelling, where there is a phoneline, but its blocked/not activated - Eircom will tell you 'in order to make the line active, you have to sign up for a minimum six month contract !!!. Having spoke directly with ComReg - this is not the case, read on.

Lets suppose, like me, you have moved to a new place, and you have had enough of Eircom and wish to activate the line and use another provider (lets say TalkTalk), Here is what to do.
    1) check the line (plug a phone in) - you can prob make 999 calls and 1901calls to Eircom
    2) dial 199000 and the service will tell you your phone number.
    3) phone up your preferred provider 'TalkTalk - in my case. tell them you want them to activate the line and ComReg have stated that 'TalkTalk' can do this by contacting Eircom on your behalf, give TalkTalk your address and the phone number.
    4) they will contact Eircom for you, activate the line, and you have successfully used the existing phoneline, and your using your prefered, cheaper, better service communication provider.
    i wish you well...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The likes of Vodafone etc can activate a line BUT you must remember they have to get Eircom to do the leg work and Eircom are well known for dragging their feet on such orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Cabaal wrote: »
    The likes of Vodafone etc can activate a line BUT you must remember they have to get Eircom to do the leg work and Eircom are well known for dragging their feet on such orders.

still beats €121 connection fee and a 6month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

still beats €121 connection fee and a 6month contract

€121 applies to situations where your home has never had an eircom phoneline, or all line work is not in place - therefore the 199000 wont work as there is nothing connected at the end of the phone point in the house!

AFAIK the situation outlined by op would only work for situations where the line had previously been active, and just needs to be reconnected. In this case ringing 199000 will give you the last active number on the account. If this line has been inactive for quite a while then the number may have been reallocated it is not much good to you.
    If the line has never been connected then dialling 199000 won't work.

First time ever connections must go through eircom (either directly or via another supplier) as they own the infrastructure for the lines. If you go via another supplier then they may well drag their feet - not supposed to, but they may well do this and put requests for their own subscriptions through first.

Reconnections are €24.99 or if the line has never been connected but all the line work is in place then its €49.99.

I could be wrong on this - this is how it used to be when I worked there a few years ago, so I am happy to be corrected if someone knows better.

Also edit to add, someone still working there told me that the 6 mth contract only applies if you are looking for the free connection offer. If you are happy to pay for the connection then there is no minimum - because to do this would be against comreg regulations in relation to other providers. The only way they can insist on the 6mth contract is if you take it as part of a special offer (i.e free).

Advertisement