Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retro gamer magazine

Options
  • 30-12-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm doing a bit of a clear up at the moment and came across around 30 issues of retro gamer magazine. It was good to have a look back over them...have to say one of the better mags out there for retro gaming. Anyone else here read this mag?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Yep,I was a subscriber since issue one and still pick it up every month.I prefered when live publishing ran it and it came with a free cover disc but its still good reading.I used to buy loads of mags each month but now I only buy this and GamesTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I always try to pick up a copy.

Is it still monthly? Hardly ever see it in Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

yes still monthly as far as i know used to love the cover disc aswell. pitty they stopped them but cost came into it i'd say. I had to bin a couple of issues a while back due to needing more space magazines just can't be stored easily enough to heavy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I only buy this and GamesTM.

Sorry man, but I really don't like GamesTM, it tries to copy Edge magazine again and again, every month and every month fails....
    I've been reading Edge now for nearly 13 years and, aside from the occasional blip, have found it to be the best source of news and opinion on every aspect of videogaming.

Retro mag is excellent though, I used to get it in the coverdisk days and it was pretty good, I have cut back to one mag a month, and Edge is the one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I buy Edge, retrogamer and gamesTM, have to say that I now find gamesTM to be a much better read than Edge, which annoys me at times by trying to intellectualise everything. Also like the fact that gamesTM has a dedicated retro section each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

ghostchant wrote: »
    I buy Edge, retrogamer and gamesTM, have to say that I now find gamesTM to be a much better read than Edge, which annoys me at times by trying to intellectualise everything. Also like the fact that gamesTM has a dedicated retro section each month.

Rofl, there's a mug born ever minute! There isn't even a debate as to weather Edge is a superior magazine - it just is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

me i buy it reguarly,and if you look back at some of the issues you might find my name mentioned in some of the issues :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Funnily enough, I was thinking two days ago about starting a thread here viz Retrogamer magazine. I have never bought an issue but simply look through it in the shops! Looking at all of the old images warms the heart...

*sniffle*

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've most of the issues from issue 2 (back when it was with its original publisher before they went under) onwards , think I'm missing one or two issues (one of which the last ninja one ironically enough, annoying as I'm a big LN fan), .
    If anyone fancies an instant collection I'm probably going to sell the lot off later in the year.
    Its a decent enough mag , used to be waay to speccy centric , which as an atari/c64 kid used to annoy the bejesus outta me( there were only so many articles fapping over 'Crash' or forelock tugging to matthew smith I could read before feeling nauseous) , but its fairly even handed now.
    I'm on their forums as dr_bob , although I lurk more now than post.

put them on ebay,people seem to go mad for the early issues,as for your last ninja problem,sell off some of the mags on the bay,then buy the retro gamer collection vol 1 dvd from the shop which has the first 30 issues on one dvd :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nothing wrong with treating Videogaming as something deeper and worthy of a more mature discussion, I mean we don't all spend oir time playing Serious Sam, not that there's anything wrong with that, you understand!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with treating Videogaming as something deeper and worthy of a more mature discussion, I mean we don't all spend oir time playing Serious Sam, not that there's anything wrong with that, you understand!

Someone said the opposite? That's a non-sequitur and it's as if you decided to use something tangentially related to make a point no one even disagreed with or mentioned.

Retro gamer isn't even a good example of it - it's actually rather lazily written in places, especially in the news section, in box-outs and in compendiums. Weather you like the magazine or not, Edge does what you're suggesting in a far more professional, well edited style as does a multitude of websites and podcasts available for free online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    Someone said the opposite? That's a non-sequitur and it's as if you decided to use something tangentially related to make a point no one even disagreed with or mentioned.

Retro gamer isn't even a good example of it - it's actually rather lazily written in places, especially in the news section, in box-outs and in compendiums. Weather you like the magazine or not, Edge does what you're suggesting in a far more professional, well edited style as does a multitude of websites and podcasts available for free online.

My post probably insinuated it, using the fact that Edge tries to intellectualise everything as a point against it in my opinion. I do like Edge and always pick it up but just don't agree with the 'games are an art-form' opinion they have, and find the mag to be a bit pretentious. I also feel that gamesTM come across as more enthusiastic about gaming in general. But I'm way off topic now and this is all just an opinion anyway!

I find retrogamer to be decent, not the best but there's nothing else on the market that competes with it so I pick it up most months

Fred83 wrote: »
    put them on ebay,people seem to go mad for the early issues,as for your last ninja problem,sell off some of the mags on the bay,then buy the retro gamer collection vol 1 dvd from the shop which has the first 30 issues on one dvd :)
    not a bad idea , was going to sell em all off in one go for collection (as the P&P would be huge) but that might be worth a try :)

Don't get your drawers in a twist, I was responding to a comment made by Dark Savior on this thread, so before you take a poke at me and fulfill your innate desire to use latin in a post, please read the entire thread and see why I made the comments I posted,

there's a good fellow....

As regards the OP and Retrogamer magazine, I did find it more essential before I found the retro gaming forum here on Boards.ie, to find out info on Retro matters, or to enjoy a debate on the subject you could only really find such material in Retrogamer Mag, but now, I just log onto the Arcade & Retro section and have a read, a laugh, get informed, debate and leave a comment or two, nice!
    And really, since then, I haven't bought the Retrogamer mag, I have had a sneaky look at it on Easons shelves though....

I never thought the magazine would last this long though, I really didn't think it would have the support, amazed it was carried in Easons as well, never guessed there were enough retrogaming enthusiasts to warrant putting it on the shelves, glas it does though!

Each to their own I suppose.I still find every months copy of Retrogamer a pleasure to read.I certainly don't see the lazily written parts but then maybe I'm easily pleased.For €6.75 a month I think any reader,with a passion for old-time gaming,gets their money's worth.

As far as Edge vs GamesTM goes,I think both are fantastic........ but I prefer GamesTM :D

Different strokes for different folks, no worries!

The Edge vs GameTM thing gets a bit old anyway, I think it's been talked about again and again and it always boils down to personal preference.

And re: buying Retrogamer mag, if I could afford to buy every magazine that caught my eye I would, but I'd end up with a house full of magazines, although I already have one of those!
    I would buy it if the cover story was tempting enough though, but that goes for several other mags that I buy from time to time, National Geographic, some painting and art mags, New Scientist etc.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't get your drawers in a twist, I was responding to a comment made by Dark Savior on this thread, so before you take a poke at me and fulfill your innate desire to use latin in a post, please read the entire thread and see why I made the comments I posted,

there's a good fellow....

So big words make you uneasy. Oh dear.

Try to respond to what was said rather to your inner intellectual prejudices next time, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So big words make you uneasy. Oh dear.

Try to respond to what was said rather to your inner intellectual prejudices next time, please.

Well, seeing as we're arguing like children now -

The Megadrive Rules..The Snes sucks ass and is for babies who can't play real consoles. I know this because I am cool and you are not. Mario is crap. Nintendo censorship is for wimps. My games have blood by the gallon. Some even have tits if you put the right codes in.

ra ra ra ra ra ra ra

Did I do it right?

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well, seeing as we're arguing like children now -

The Megadrive Rules..The Snes sucks ass and is for babies who can't play real consoles. I know this because I am cool and you are not. Mario is crap. Nintendo censorship is for wimps. My games have blood by the gallon. Some even have tits if you put the right codes in.

ra ra ra ra ra ra ra

Did I do it right?

So I'm the childish one for highlighting the childish nature of his jibs that avoided the point of a post completely, yes?

Whoa,why all the hostility?Maybe I'm wrong but I think o1s1n was trying to lighten the mood a bit,and for the record the Snes was the 16bit king :D

No one said he was deathly serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So I'm the childish one for highlighting the childish nature of his jibs that avoided the point of a post completely, yes?

I did say -

'Well, seeing as we're arguing like children now'

The 'we're' there would mean more than just you. I only use the Queens singular 'We' when drunk and impersonating the Queen.

Which I haven't done in quite some time...excuse me.

/Goes to look for crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

Excellent read.i have the first and third volumes which i bought in wh smiths in england.great to read about how the games came to life.

reading through the third volume.couldnt believe the work that went into outrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Anyone read the issue on Atari? Is it worth paying the extortionate prices people look for on eBay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

If you want to read a specific article, no. If you want to fill a hole in your magazine collection... well, you wouldn't be asking.

They have reproduced most of the early stuff in two forms by now, on DVD (the e-Zine, up to vol. 3 at the moment) and as a highlights hardback, one of those coffee-table types. I believe both are sold out on their official site, but should be cheap enough secondhand.

I read it regularly, though my subscription has just lapsed and I won't be renewing it for now. Financial reasons, nothing to do with the quality of the magazine. It's a great read.

atariman wrote: »
    Anyone read the issue on Atari? Is it worth paying the extortionate prices people look for on eBay for it?

which atari,they done one on the st and jaguar,st is compared to poor mans amiga,jaguar,well i got lucky,i got one other day for €60 :D

atariman wrote: »

They've covered most of the atari machines in different mags
    VCS/2600 -the 400/800/xl , the 5200, (I think the 7800 as well) and the ST/Lynx.
    Speaking as someone who's flogging off his collection ...er how much does it go for on ebay? (As I'm trying to work out what to ask for the lot and I'd rather sell it via adverts.ie for collection if I can;) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't like the mag.

If i was british, I might appreciate it but i'm not.

Advertisement