Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting your guitar on your computer?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi!
    Does anyone know how it get your riffs on your computer so that you can edit them and stuff?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

power tabs if u wana be a lil old school! i still use that lots

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I Concur wrote: »
    Hi!
    Does anyone know how it get your riffs on your computer so that you can edit them and stuff?
    Do you want to record your own guitar playing through the computer or do as the others suggested and tab them out using software? I highly recommend Guitar Pro as well. It's €60 but well worth it. It's not just useful for tabbing. I use it as a guitar tuner, speed trainer, scale trainer and chord finder.

There's also Tux Guitar which I've never used but it's open source and apparently allows reading and writing of Guitar Pro files.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

thanks MAlice

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭I Concur

Malice_ wrote: »
    Do you want to record your own guitar playing through the computer or do as the others suggested and tab them out using software? I highly recommend Guitar Pro as well. It's €60 but well worth it. It's not just useful for tabbing. I use it as a guitar tuner, speed trainer, scale trainer and chord finder.

There's also Tux Guitar which I've never used but it's open source and apparently allows reading and writing of Guitar Pro files.

Yeah i want to record my stuff on the computer... Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Anything Christopher Willits says is gold.

I Concur wrote: »
    Yeah i want to record my stuff on the computer... Any ideas?
    There's lots of ways to do it. I use a Line 6 PodXT Live connected through USB to my computer. I then use Audacity to record whatever I'm playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Cable the Guitar into the sound card, you may need a 1/4" to 9 mm converter jackplug

One of these yokes:

ux_a08041800ux0040_ux_c.jpg

Download audacity from www.audacity.com and away you go!

Its really basic but it works and its free

bush Baby wrote: »
    a 1/4" to 9 mm converter jackplug
    Do you know anywhere in Ireland that sells those? I had a quick look on Maplin but I couldn't find 1/4" to 9mm, only 1/4" to 3.5mm.

Another piece of information that I let out of my previous post is that using the PodXT as I described doesn't require the use of an amp which makes it very useful if you are dividing your time between two locations e.g. for work or if you're a student. You don't have to cart an amp around with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Menolias

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Malice_ wrote: »
    Do you know anywhere in Ireland that sells those? I had a quick look on Maplin but I couldn't find 1/4" to 9mm, only 1/4" to 3.5mm.

Another piece of information that I let out of my previous post is that using the PodXT as I described doesn't require the use of an amp which makes it very useful if you are dividing your time between two locations e.g. for work or if you're a student. You don't have to cart an amp around with you.

I got mine in Maplins. Its a standard jackplug to mini jack plug gen changer thingymajig

bush Baby wrote: »
    I got mine in Maplins. Its a standard jackplug to mini jack plug gen changer thingymajig
    Fair enough, I'll be sure to pick one up the next time I'm in Maplin as they would definitely come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

gota bunch of em and they're handy for all sorts

as for me getting guitar on the comp, i use a podxt's left line out into an external Mbox soundcard and the right output into the computers default line input, which uses one of those jack convertors..

pro tools and cool edit pro for the DAW's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Or reaper, i find it much better than audacity. And if you have an XTL with the add ons, theres a way to get the add ons into reaper so you can record the guitar clean and add the effects afterwards! very handy!

-=al=- wrote: »
    gota bunch of em and they're handy for all sorts

as for me getting guitar on the comp, i use a podxt's left line out into an external Mbox soundcard and the right output into the computers default line input, which uses one of those jack convertors..

pro tools and cool edit pro for the DAW's
    Any particular reason why you record like that? Are you combing the signals into one stereo mix later or something?
    king-stew wrote: »
    Or reaper, i find it much better than audacity. And if you have an XTL with the add ons, theres a way to get the add ons into reaper so you can record the guitar clean and add the effects afterwards! very handy!
    What's an XTL? Also it's a bit unfair to compare Audacity to Reaper. One is simply an audio editor and recorder. The other is a full-on digital audio workstation.

Advertisement