Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash light failure

Options
  • 30-12-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

2005 Passat 105 se 1.9 Diesel.. New model.

Dash Lights, indicators + main beam failing + returning by itself..

Wondering is it the cold weather?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It hasn't been that cold, I reckon you need to get it checked out. What dash lights are coming on? AFAIK, the indicators & main beam are activated by the same stalk - that'd be the first thing i'd suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

The light stalks on passat's seem to have an a fault
    with the contacts not working as they should.
    Have come across two faulty passat's not as new as
    yours, turns out dust and dirt fall down and stop the contacts
    working as they should when the light stalk.
    Problem solve by taking off the cover around the steering
    (easy enough job), then a cloth and good old WD40 sprayed
    on and around the area, as you work the stalk. Hope that helps you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Thanks for the help. Will check for dust. Wipers also have failed. Would dust cause the dash lights to fail.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Any signs of leaks? As others have said dust on contacts can mess up the stalks. Recently investigated this on a fiat.
    As for dash lights. Are you talking in the instrument panel or for things like hazards, a/c controls? If the latter then easy to replace and fix. 40 mins work and a trip to halfords for €1 bulbs of similar to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Not sure about the dash lights, but they could be because of
    loose conections within the unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Just for good measure check fuses. Had a friend fit a radio to his car recently' blew several bulbs and fuses in the dash from not isolating the battery. May be worth a look on the fuseboard?

Dash lights, wipers, indicators + main beam are failing + returning by theselves.

The mechanic who is looking at it works mainly with older less complicated cars.

Thanks again for all the help

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well get a mechanic who knows what they are doing!
    I presume that this car has something like a light control module. Either way, get it diagnosed by a proper expert.

Not sure if this has been dealt with. Tried the Search but nothing came up.

I came accross an English company that fixes Ecu 's and wondering if it is practical to remove and post/courier this unit as I hear very high Irish prices for repair of the unit.

Thanks

Advertisement