Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older couple neeed new heating system

Options
  • 30-12-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I have elderly relatives who find themeselves in a situation without an adequate heating system to take them thru the rest of their days in a semi-d in Dublin built in 1965.

The original heating system was:
    * "early style" underfloor heating on the ground floor with cement over it; but today this works in only one room. They have had people look at it to see if it can be repaired but without any success.
    * The upstairs heating was on-wall electric heating boxes, which I believe are heated brick type. Anyway only one is working - and the other rooms are without heating.

In summary, they exist on a fire in one room, underfloor heating in another and 2 large electric mobile radiators. The house is generally cold and unsuitable now for two people aged 75+.

I'm looking for a recommendation of what type of system/combination could improve the situation. In reality, they need a new heating system that will last abou 15 years but doesn't cost the earth; money is tight. I don't believe that a entire new sytem such as gas is feasible or practical.

Thanks for your advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Id say that you are looking at putting in a new central heating system - oil, gas or perhaps combined with solid fuel. I doubt very much if they would be interested in underfloor heating.

There are grants available for this type of work. Contact your local citizens centre for details but do it early as any money being made available will be on a first come first served basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Have they considered Electric Storage heaters on Nightrate electricity?
    As both are over 75 they may qualify for free electricity.
    It worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

You should also look at what you can do in terms of improving insulation. This could be reasonably cheap and they will get more value out of what they are currently spending on heating.

To be honest, you should explore the actual costs of putting in a proper central heating system. It may not be as crazy as you think. It it certainly something that will have to be done in the house at some stage. It also means the elderly couple in the house don't have to be bothered with cleaning out stoves/fires etc. It is much more manageable. I don't think you should rule it out without getting one or two quotes for a full heating system revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Have a look into

HIS - the Home Insulation Scheme (HIS offers free home insulation to homeowners aged 65 and older) from the ESB

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Thanks for the help; will immediately look at electricity option at Nightrate rates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement