Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Saint and the Sultan

Options
  • 30-12-2009 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

" The Saint and the Sultan" I was thinkin of buying this book and thought the story was interesting. Has anyone read it? and if so I would be delighted to hear how good of a read it was?

here is a link with an interview of the author.

http://www.bustedhalo.com/features/the-saint-and-the-sultan/

In The Saint and the Sultan: The Crusades, Islam, and Francis of Assisi’s Mission of Peace, Moses — now a professor of journalism at Brooklyn College and the City University of New York Graduate School — combines his skills as a reporter with his formidable storytelling abilities to recount a remarkable mission of peace in which Francis himself was deeply transformed through his encounter with his enemy. Though the story takes place in 1219, this early encounter between the Christian West and the Islamic east resonates down through the centuries in ways that many Americans will recognize today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Thanks Stephenlig, I'll be ordering this :)...looking forward to reading it! Cheers!

I love the simple and beautiful faith of St. Francis, actually both St. Francis of Assisi and St. Franci Xaviour.......They're two of my favourite Christians..kind of much needed inspiration in their own lifetimes...

like Mother Theresa...

people to continue the faith and try to emulate...in as much as we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

lmaopml wrote: »
    Thanks Stephenlig, I'll be ordering this :)...looking forward to reading it! Cheers!

I love the simple and beautiful faith of St. Francis, actually both St. Francis of Assisi and St. Franci Xaviour.......They're two of my favourite Christians..kind of much needed inspiration in their own lifetimes...

like Mother Theresa...

people to continue the faith and try to emulate...in as much as we can.

Hope you enjoy the book and when you've read it please do tell whether or not its good as I'm not in the position to just throw my money away.:D

I dont have a favorite Saint, as all are great and all are holy.:D

God bless
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

went to hughes and hughes for it, they didnt have it and told me that if they ordered it in from america it would cost me 26 euro :eek:

perhaps the pages are splashed with gold? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Sultan-Crusades-Francis-Assisis/dp/038552370X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262364487&sr=8-1

The new and used section sells copies for about £10 (not inc. p&p) . Make sure you buy from someone/ company that has high ratings - I've never had problems doing it this way. You might also want to check some of the Christian book shops listed in the resources thread.

Advertisement