Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apply as mature student and from abroad

Options
  • 29-12-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi all:)
    i want apply to DIT and DCU as a mature student (i'm 25 now). i am from poland and my question is: do i need proof of my english?
    its my 5th year in Ireland now, from last september i am doing FETAC 5 course which would show that i can speak and write english well i think...?
    thanks for any answers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

Hi Isabell, and welcome! Yes you do need to prove that you can use English at proficiency level. FETAC wouldn't be enough to prove that your English is good enough to do degree course. You need to show either Cambridge Advance Certificate with grade A which is more than 90% pass or Cambridge Proficiency Certificate with grade C which is 60% pass, or TOEFL with minimum 90 score, some uni require higher though, or IELTS with score of 6.5 and above. I'm here almost 8 years and I'm Russian with an Irish Citizenship but still need to show prove of my English competence. I've recently done TOFEL and Cambridge tests but unfortunately I didn't pass the TOEFL, I flunked the listening part. So I still waiting for mine result from the Cambridge test. Which course do you want to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

Hi Isabell, and welcome! Yes you do need to prove that you can use English at proficiency level. FETAC wouldn't be enough to prove that your English is good enough to do degree course. You need to show either Cambridge Advance Certificate with grade A which is more than 90% pass or Cambridge Proficiency Certificate with grade C which is 60% pass, or TOEFL with minimum 90 score, some uni require higher though, or IELTS with score of 6.5 and above. I'm here almost 8 years and I'm Russian with an Irish Citizenship but still need to show prove of my English competence. I've recently done TOFEL and Cambridge tests but unfortunately I didn't pass the TOEFL, I flunked the listening part. So I still waiting for mine result from the Cambridge test. Which course do you want to take?

hi summergirl:)
    well i'd love do international business with german/DIT. my second option would be event management. thats all i think... and you?
    could you tell me which of these english certificates is the best to do? (and the easiest one as well:D)
    i will apply in next few days so is it possible to give them my results of english exam later???

I've done both TOEFL and CAC and i think CAC is much easier than the TOEFL test. I'd advise you to apply for both IELTS and CAC or CFC, result you'll get only after 2 month online and if you pass at all cert will be issued after 3-4 month. So definitely you're late this year.
    I'm thinking of applying for midwifery, but places are very very limited so I'll apply both General Nursing and Midwifery. I'm also doing FETAC level 5 modular certificate in Introduction to Nursing and working as a health care.

well i will try anyway........ i was a bit confused because my friend from lithuania when was applyin to DKiT they never wanted any proof of english (after she did FETAC)
    as well when in my college was meeting with a guy from DIT and afterwards when i talk with him private he never mentiond about english
    eh............... i should do it last year or so :mad: anyway i will try......
    just one more question. IELTS is academic and general. do i have to do academic version? on the dit website is nothing about what version, just score 6.0:confused:

Most colleges in Ireland would not give an admission to a new students from abroad if students don't show prove of English competence, either one of these cert above or leaving cert. You can read information about English requirements on their web site www.tcd.ie or www.dkit.ie or www.ucd.ie, etc. When you'll log into one of these web site just type English entry requirements. Read as well www.cao.ie web site, i don't know how these guys got their places without prove, really it sounds very strange to me... you can ring to uni you want to apply and ask them if you do need any prove at all.

What about IELTS test there are no academic or proficiency levels, not like in a Cambridge test, IELTS it counts by levels from 0-9 i think so you need to make as high as 6 and above, it's the same in TOEFL test they count from 0 to 120 in TOEFL you need to get 90 and above to pass, some uni require lower some higher, in IELTS you need to make 6 and above
    If you need something more just let me know

Natalie xx

• Advertisement

Hi Isabell again, here I found some info at DIT web site about entry requirements www.dit.ie/study/international/studentsfromnoneucountries/minimumentryrequirementsincludingenglish/

thanks summergirl:) well i send email with a few questions and i will see what they will say......... if 'no' i think i will go for one more fetac course and then after to dit
    thanks for help!

You're welcome, all the best with your application

Advertisement