Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I send cash to the Mars Volta?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've never bought a Mars Volta album, and I never will, because they're signed to Warner Bros. records. I disagree with the business decisions of the RIAA in the strongest terms, and don't want them to see a penny of my money, ever.

On the other hand, I really enjoy the Mars Volta's music, and would like to reward them for making it. The way I see it, you vote with your wallet.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get in contact with them and send them, say thirty quid (which incedentally makes more money for them more than buying thirty of their albums)?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Seems a bit stupid but...

your best bet would have been to give the money directly to them at their gig earlier this month, otherwise there is no guarantee they will ever get your money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm fairly sure even if you knew their address and were to post it directly to them, the manager would know/be told and get a split.

Isn't that how these things work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Manager is fine, record company is not.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Donate it to charity and send them a long and detailed letter explaining your plight. Maybe draw diagrams to clarify where needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

paypal it to me

I'll pass it on

and even if I don't its not your fault

Was he robbed of the asphalt that cushioned his face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The best way to support the band from your position would be to buy merchandise directly off their website or buy concert tickets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

If you buy music on say itunes does much of that go to the record companies?

of course it does filmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Same cut as off CD sales I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Under 20% goes to the band, ratm made £70,000 out of 500,000 downloads in the UK last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

It sounds like the OP is too principled for his own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I think you should not listen to anything i say, that'll teach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Fremen - I seem to recall a website a while back about people posting money to their favourite artists, but I can't for the life of me find it now. Depends on the band really, and it's worth remembering that different bands have different attitudes to downloading. Many support the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Apple take a cut as well, to the expense of the artist, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll be seeing them at a festival in January so just PM me your full name, credit card number, expiry date and CVV and I'll happily pass the details on for 'them' to charge. No need to thank me.

Freman - buy a load of their t shirts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm in the mars volta. I don't want your money. I'll only use it to buy drugs.

So long as you don't use it to make any more Mars Volta music...

Fremen(OP) what did you decide to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

If youd like to send some money my way ill make sure it gets to them..))

• Advertisement

Ouravit wrote: »
    If youd like to send some money my way ill make sure it gets to them..))

its Ok we have already had that joke three times on a very short thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

its Ok we have already had that joke three times on a very short thread

Yeah, but they all came up with alternative versions of the joke, and independently to boot, and sure isn't that what this board is about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

do you drink nestea? i've been thinking about making my own ice tea as i can't find a good alternative in stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

The OP has an interesting idea.
    Perhaps pirate bay and the like could develop a method of voluntarily donating money directly to the artist every time you download one of their songs.
    It would get rid of that twinge of guilt I feel every time I rob from an artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

...and get rid of every record store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

469457686a5352812627l.jpg

Pass your bank account details onto George Agdgdgwngo and he will wire the monies directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

Record shops are on the way out any way. Not that it would ever happen but, say you were given the option to give a band any amount of money you wanted after you'd downloaded their whole discography, would you?

Depends on the band. I tend to make a real effort to get money to little indie bands, usually by buying merchandise or re-buying a CD I've already downloaded at gigs. I consider it an investment in their future music. :)

Advertisement