Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableton Query

Options
  • 29-12-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi guys, recently got ableton and I've been getting to grips with it, does anybody know how to sample various parts of a track? Say to only have vocals, or to cut out vocals and everything else so that only bass is audible, or can this be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Simple answer?

No!

You would need an original master for that....

With all the tracks seperate i.e bass, drums, vocals on single tracks....

Depending on the track you could compress the **** out whatever is in the track and try isolate said vocal, but it most likely would sound terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Either get the stems as Fieldog said, or download an acapella/instrumental.

Otherwise you'll need a VST like Melodyne to extract parts which is time-consuming and quite expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

If you're looking for Acapella's you can start here:

http://www.djmixsource.com/

There's a couple of gigs for free.
    But as stated above, extracting one cleanly from a full mix is far from easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I've heard Moldover talk about a thing on Ableton called the smart mixer, which can cut out bass/mid/treble a lot better than EQs, maybe give that a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

I've heard Moldover talk about a thing on Ableton called the smart mixer, which can cut out bass/mid/treble a lot better than EQs, maybe give that a try?

That smart mixer is something he's put together himself, its seriously complicated using multiple compressors to shift frequencies so you can automix music without having to manually EQ. he can just fire multiple tracks together and his smart mixer levels everything out so you don't get a murky soup of noise.
    For a start its not an off the shelf Ableton preset, so not something simple for beginners to attempt to replicate, but also its not going to really going have the accuracy needed to isolate individual sounds

• Advertisement
Advertisement