Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Windows 7 netbook-friendly?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

Hi all, wondering if you might be able to offer some impartial advice - I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 and have heard conflicting reviews on whether W7 is friendly to the netbook generation (or at least as friendly as a bloatware-free version of XP).

I'm currently running XP and had been contemplating trying to turn it into a Hackintosh (I don't have any particular loyalty to either Windows or Mac) but my particular model doesn't suit OS X and I was wondering whether any of you had experience on running W7 off your average-standard 10" netbook - how it performed speed-wise, boot time, etc etc.

Any and all advice would be welcome!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have Win7 Ultimate installed on my Advent netbook and it's grand, i have no complaints. It's quick, even runs the aero theme effects, although i disabled them. I mostly leave it in standby or hibernated, so i can't remember how quick it is to boot. But it's not noticably slow or anything. If you've got a copy win7 i think it's a grand OS for netbooks.
    I say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I have Windows 7 on a Netbook An Advent 4211 which is a rebadged msi wind U100.

Is faster than the windows XP that came with the netbook.

I had an issue with the sound card which was resolved by downloading the drivers on the MSI site.

The MSI site also has a full set of drivers.

It also boots up very quickly. And is windows 7 Ultimate. with AVG free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I have installed a number of versions of Windows 7 on netbooks and all worked pretty well.

There is a starter version specially for Netbooks but i dont think it is available for retail sale.

Using the highter versions of Windows 7 is a bit of a waste because the limited memory and processor does not really allow you to take advantage of the features.

IE Running multible applications is very slow on an Atom processor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

I have installed a number of versions of Windows 7 on netbooks and all worked pretty well.

Same here for work, I've fired everything from Started to Ultimate onto netbooks, 99.9% are faster than with XP, sometimes Aero can slow it down, but its only one early Dell netbook I've seen that issue with.

If your buying, I'd go with Home premium for a Netbook, seems to run best, Starter has a few limitations which are a pain!

I'd also recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials with it, its very light on resources and it highly rated (and free)!

Advertisement