Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need planning permission?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I live in DLRCoCo area. The houses in my estate have a flat roofed
    porch of about 1.2 sq meters, as part of the original house. I plan to
    replace the door to this porch with a PVC type (or better wooden) as the existing one is not draft proof.

The door is to the side of the porch, with a large window (ceiling to
    floor, width of porch) to the front, i.e. facing road. Other side is a solid wall.

Given that the breeze comes down the avenue and hits the door, I was
    thinking of putting the new door at the front of the porch where the
    full size window is now, and put the window where the existing door is.

Can you tell if if this requires planning permission? Since someone (according to the DLRCoCo FAQ) can build a 2 sqm porch without PP, and this porch is 1.2 sqm, I assume making this change does not require PP. But I just wanted to check opinions first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html

This link provides the information required regarding exempted development.
    CLASS 7

The construction or erection of a porch outside any external door of a house.
    1. Any such structure shall be situated not less than 2 metres from any road.
    2. The floor area of any such structure shall not exceed 2 square metres.
    3. The height of any such structure shall not exceed, in the case of a structure with a tiled or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or, in any other case, 3 metres.

provided....

Exempted Development.
    6. (1) Subject to article 9, development of a class specified in column 1 of Part 1 of Schedule 2 shall be exempted development for the purposes of the Act, provided that such development complies with the conditions and limitations specified in column 2 of the said Part 1 opposite the mention of that class in the said column 1.

Speak to a good local AT.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 urbeau

I very much doubt that you need planning permission. You are not really materially changing anything. You could make request to the planning office but in the days of celtic tiger they took an age to get back.

I did a garage conversion including replacing garage doors with patio doors and putting a window on the side and I would have got old waiting for the council to rubber stamp it (Meath CoCo). Job done 5 years ago and CoCo did eventually get back to say it was not an issue.

Maybe now with tiger dead u will get quicker response from CoCo as they should have less on. Usually web sites are not bad but they do sit on the fence somewhat.

I did speak to nearby neighbours also re my change just to make sure that nobody would have any objection (as this could be where problems come if somebody complains - however, people complaining would probably seek advice first). They had no problems and could not even understand why I would ask.

So, if u want to be warm this winter go do it now. If u can wait till next then get in touch with ur planning dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

urbeau wrote: »
    I very much doubt that you need planning permission. You are not really materially changing anything. You could make request to the planning office but in the days of celtic tiger they took an age to get back.

I did a garage conversion including replacing garage doors with patio doors and putting a window on the side and I would have got old waiting for the council to rubber stamp it (Meath CoCo). Job done 5 years ago and CoCo did eventually get back to say it was not an issue.

Maybe now with tiger dead u will get quicker response from CoCo as they should have less on. Usually web sites are not bad but they do sit on the fence somewhat.

I did speak to nearby neighbours also re my change just to make sure that nobody would have any objection (as this could be where problems come if somebody complains - however, people complaining would probably seek advice first). They had no problems and could not even understand why I would ask.

So, if u want to be warm this winter go do it now. If u can wait till next then get in touch with ur planning dept.

To urbeau: Infraction given, read the charter before posting again, we do not advise anyone to flout the planning laws. Also if you are changing the front elevation of a house that is a material change to a property (window to a door). (I believe you were trying to help, it's just better to go by the book)

To the OP: Firstly, find out if you need planning permission, if you do then go and get it. Speak to a good local AT.

Advertisement