Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you worship white Jesus?

Options
  • 29-12-2009 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭

I know you'll say race or the socially defined concept of race is not important but if you hang a picture of white Jesus or Mary in your home, a feature in many Christian homes in Ireland, you are effectively propogating a lie and a whitewash that is a most un-Christian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I know you'll say race or the socially defined concept of race is not important but if you hang a picture of white Jesus or Mary in your home, a feature in many Christian homes in Ireland, you are effectively propogating a lie and a whitewash that is a most un-Christian.

But I don't have a pictue of Jesus or Mary anywhere in my home.:pac:

Generally people will more easily identify with those of their own race. Silly? Yes! But let's not lose the plot.

Jesus probably looked like you averge modern day Palestinian - that's hardly a revelation to anybody who has thought about it, nor, I suspect, would it be an unpalatable reality to them.

Let's see where thi thread goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i remember in secondary school we had a picture of white Jesus on the wall and i asked a priest why he was white and the priest replied '' well that's European Jesus'' haha it was quite funny i didn't know Jesus morphed according to geographical location, but in short no i dont worship white blonde haired blue eyed jesus, i think of him as what an Arab person looks like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

But I don't have a pictue of Jesus or Mary anywhere in my home.:pac:

Generally people will more easily identify with those of their own race. Silly? Yes! But let's not lose the plot.

Jesus probably looked like you averge modern day Palestinian - that's hardly a revelation to anybody who has thought about it, nor, I suspect, would it be an unpalatable reality to them.

Let's see where thi thread goes!

Ditto. No pictures of Jesus or Mary in my house either. :)

However, as has been pointed out in other threads, different cultures tend to portray Jesus in terms with which they are familiar. So, in Africa, you get pictures of a black Jesus. And I've seen pictures of him in Asia where he looks more Chinese than Palestinian.

I believe there are two reasons for this. One is that we naturallly try to interpret things in ways that are familiar to us. Many of the great painters painted biblical and classical scenes where the characters wore the clothing of the painters' own day. This was not done out of ignorance, but rather in a search for relevance - just as drama companies today stage productions of Skakespeare in modern dress.

I think the other reason is that the Incarnation carries the message that Jesus pre-existed as God the Son before he became human. Therefore, while God chose a Palestinian woman's womb, Jesus was never limited by his race. His 'translatability' into other cultures makes us all feel that we can have a personal relationship with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I was hoping some with depictions of Christ in their homes would comment, not to worry.

That's interesting about Chinese Jesus, i've just googled the images, never considered such a thing. I knew about black Jesus but have heard that most christians in Africa use the white depiction, but how true this is i do not know. I do know for a fact that many African Americans hang pictures of the white Jesus in their home.

Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I have a statue of Jesus and Mary and some pictures. I'll have to get out the fake tan and paint over their faces! Thanks for making me realize how unchristian I've been! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »
    I have a statue of Jesus and Mary and some pictures. I'll have to get out the fake tan and paint over their faces! Thanks for making me realize how unchristian I've been! :rolleyes:

No problem, it's always a pleasure to help one strengthen their connection with Jesus.

Let us all love Jesus for who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

I do worship white Jesus, if you mean white as SHINING WHITE LIGHT BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND LIGHTNING BOLTS!!!!!! :pac:
    This means that you cannot actually see what His skin color is. :eek:

I do worship white Jesus, if you mean white as SHINING WHITE LIGHT BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND LIGHTNING BOLTS!!!!!! :pac:
    This means that you cannot actually see what His skin color is. :eek:

You have a Jesus statue capable of that?

I wouldn't like to be paying your electricity bills!

You have a Jesus statue capable of that?

I wouldn't like to be paying your electricity bills!

I don't have nor worship statues, sorry. I was talking about the real Jesus. Are you asking what color is the Jesus picture/statue we worship?
    I answered your thread title. Your OP itself I agree with, but it does not match the thread title.

worship != have pictures of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Well, my aunt has a silk scroll print from Korea of an oriental-looking Virgin Mary and my granny had a small statue of her carved out of ebony from South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

i've got a two foot statue of Jesus with a pale white complexion and red hair ,
    its years old got if from my nana ,, it's how Jesus would look if he was Irish.:)

alrightcuz wrote: »
    its years old got if from my nana ,, it's how Jesus would look if he was Irish.:)

If He was Irish don't you think He would be taller than two foot? ;)

alrightcuz wrote: »

I'd say your Nana got an awful shock when she walked through the pearly gates. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 qberry

huum, Interesting that you singled out the White race, and called them liars for posting pictures of a white Jesus, and yet you made no such accusations against any other race who hang pictures of a Jesus in their image.
    That in itself exposes you as a biggot and racist against the White race.
    Not surprising tho, seeing that Whites have always been the only race that is chastized for claiming to be the race of Jesus.

Could it be because Whites ARE in fact the race of Jesus?, and is therefore the reason why the other races hate us so?! I certainly believe so. And, I believe White/caucasians are the ones of whom Jesus was speaking to and prophecied about in the last days, when he said in Matt.24, "Ye shall be hated of all nations "for my name's sake".

I believe that deep down, most Whites know this, BUT they're afraid to say so for fear of being hated by the other races amongst them.

qberry wrote: »
    huum, Interesting that you singled out the White race, and called them liars for posting pictures of a white Jesus, and yet you made no such accusations against any other race who hang pictures of a Jesus in their image.
    Not surprising tho, seeing that Whites have always been the only race that is chastized for claiming to be the race of Jesus.

Could it be because Whites ARE in fact the race of Jesus?, and is therefore the reason why the other races hate us so?! I certainly believe so. And, I believe White/caucasians are the ones of whom Jesus was speaking to and prophecied about in the last days, when he said in Matt.24, "Ye shall be hated of all nations "for my name's sake".

I believe that deep down, most Whites know this, BUT they're afraid to say so for fear of being hated by the other races amongst them.
    What is your definition of "white" anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PDN wrote: »

A Leprechaun Jesus you say?

Cool your jets, homie.

I mentioned whites because that is the culture i live in and am primarily familiar with.

I think it's a more pertinent point in relation to whites than any other "race" though, as no other race has quite such a history of suppressing or stealing culture from others. Incidentally, maybe that is why "other races hate us so".

No, I think most white Christians (like Christians of other races) are well aware that Jesus was warning His disciples that they would be hated. To try to apply that in racial terms is the kind of nasty racist drivel that belongs on Stormfront's website tather than here.

No, I think most white Christians (like Christians of other races) are well aware that Jesus was warning His disciples that they would be hated. To try to apply that in racial terms is the kind of nasty racist drivel that belongs on Stormfront's website tather than here.
    I agree, if by "His disciples," you mean to include all modern-day representatives for Christ. This of course, includes all races. Otherwise, it was directed at the disciples in His presence, which would presumably be of Middle-Eastern ethnicity. So, Jesus and His disciples were most likely more olive than white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mrhydeandseek

I doubt Jesus was really that white. A jew who spoke Aramaic and from a region where most people aren't white. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Nope, maybe he's a leprechaun. :D

Galvasean beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Not surprising tho, seeing that Whites have always been the only race that is chastized for claiming to be the race of Jesus..

The only whites that claim to be the race of Jesus usually live on compounds in the rocky mountains and carry guns prepared to shoot anyone who comes near their property. I doubt Jesus would saddle up with them at all.
    Could it be because Whites ARE in fact the race of Jesus?, and is therefore the reason why the other races hate us so?!..
    Not at all. Other races don't hate whites. I have friends of a few colours and nationalities and faiths, none hate us.
    I certainly believe so.
    I don't believe you.
    And, I believe White/caucasians are the ones of whom Jesus was speaking to and prophecied about in the last days, when he said in Matt.24, "Ye shall be hated of all nations "for my name's sake"..
    How can you come to that conclusion when Jesus was talking to men of the middle east who were olive skinned?

ooohhhh nnnooooo we don't even begin to believe that. It trash.
    We are hated not by other races but by those who are enemnies of God. By those that hate Christianity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭T "real deal" J

I doubt Jesus was really that white. A jew who spoke Aramaic and from a region where most people aren't white. :p

Its as simple as this. The bible is specific of where jesus was born and who his parents where. They were from the group of semetic people in the middle east and spoke aramaic.

There's nothing else to it. This is what the bible says. A caucasian jesus or mary is simply a convienient adaptation. I don't think this is too widespread.

Advertisement