Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tintin

Options
  • 29-12-2009 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Well following from the Asterix thread who remembers Tin Tin? And his lovable dog Snowy?
    There were many, many books I read them all. Or rather read the captions in the cartoons, all books were in cartoon format.
    If I didn't have a copy I ordered from my library who requested it from the county HQ, Thurles county library.

Ah, TinTin, Professor Calculus and Caption Haddock and more, how could you not get enthralled??

Incidently, the film was pure ****e!

Here is a short clip from one cartoon but again, the books were far, far better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Soon to be ruined by Jamie Bell as Tintin. Or brilliantly adapted by the Doctor Who guy, the Spaced guy and the Adam and Joe guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I remember watching TinTin as a child. Loved it. Never read the books though!

I was in France once as a child with my parents, Britanny somewhere, and we went to see an old nuclear submarine. The same building had a TinTin exhibition on and they were advertising it with wooden crates everywhere and cardboard cutouts of the characters.

Didn't get to see the exhibition itself though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Loved this show :D
    Snowy Forever!!

So many fond memories of watching all these types of cartoons. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

Did thompson and thompson appeaR IN EVERY episode, watched one online recently. i also remember DOUG, wonder what happened that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

The cartoons in the book were beautifully done. Lovely pictures of Marlinspike Hall, the rocket to the moon and The Unicorn (the ship from Red Rackhams Treasure).
    The characters were all larger than life too - I loved the characters of Bianaca Castifore the opera singer, and Jonlon Wagg the insurance salesman.
    One thing I was never sure of was where Marlinspike Hall was actually supposed to be ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I have a DVD boxset of every episode, think it was like £10 in a shop in England. I've never watched them though, someday! Also very intersted if anyone knows where to stock the "racist" Tintin in the Congo book which people went mad over a few years ago

Captain Haddock is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i have a pdf of all the books. Makes for some good reading in work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

My brother actually has a collection of some of the books. Must get down to reading them someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

mikedublin wrote: »
    One thing I was never sure of was where Marlinspike Hall was actually supposed to be ?
    Marlinshire, England was as close as the book gave (assuming you read the English version of the book). Ignore the side of the road they drive on:)
    Also very intersted if anyone knows where to stock the "racist" Tintin in the Congo book which people went mad over a few years ago
    I remember seeing a few copies in Forbidden Planet years ago. Living in the sticks as I am, I've no idea whether that retailer is still on the go or not but any similar store should be able to get it easily. And any book shop should be able to order it if you want to buy it (the UK ISBN is ISBN 1-4052-2098-8). Or Amazon obviously. It's not very good though. And yes, I'd view it as quite racist as well.

Despite reading all of Tintin, I much preferred Asterix as those were actually funny. The TV series was spoiled for me by Tintin doing the dodgiest Canadian accent at the beginning of every episode, which had me shaking my head before he could finish "It all started..."

• Advertisement
Advertisement