Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Pump

Options
  • 28-12-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi there,

Hope everyone had a great Xmas...

Due our first baby end of March PG all going well.....Starting to look at everthing we need to buy and comparing prices.

Can anyone advise me on best breast pump to buy? Where is best for bedding/mattress for cot/crib etc?

Thanks a mil...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Dont forget about going into super valu. The one near me gives "baby starter kit" thing for free. nappies, bottles etc. My sister got them when her kids where born. I dont know if all super valu's em it though. Best of luck with your new bundle of joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The ones they use in the hospital are the Medela Breast pumps. They can be bought in the hospital shops for around €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Hi WWC,

Hope your pregnancies going well, I'm due end of February and times flying by!

I was on the hunt for a breast pump also and here's the prices/info I received;

Electric ones;
    Medela Mini approx. €70/80 but is suitable only for expressing once/twice a week
    Medela Swing approx.€120 but is suitable for daily expressing
    Philips/Avent ISIS approx. €100 suitable for daily expressing

Manual ones:
    Boots own brand approx. €20
    Philips ISIS manual €20 (though I did see same one in a chemist yesterday for €40 so well worth shopping around!)

I did my 'big shop' yesterday for all the bits and pieces I need for junior/my hospital bag and was amazed at the difference in prices between some places.
    I was really annoyed after buying Lansinoh nipple cream for €19.99 in one chemist to find the exact same size tube was only €14.99 in a chemist not 10 metres away!
    Same goes for the steam steriliser, I paid €49.99 for it in first place I tried, found it was €69.99 in next place and €39.99 in last place I tried :rolleyes:

For bedding I'd been keeping an eye out for that for the past few months and found Michael Guineys to be the best, I think their cellular blankets are something like €4 each and their cot sheets aren't much dearer.
    I seen cellular blankets in a local nursery shop and they were €17.99 for 2 :eek:

I wanted to buy as much as possible Irish but had to buy mattress online from UK as I needed a custom size one for my cot but found them really cheap that way. (£20 for foam mattress/£40 for sprung mattress + £21.50 for shipping)

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 WWC

HI,

Thank you for all your replies...

Caprilicious, best of luck in Feb....you must be so excited :):):)

Thank you for that list, will def try MG for the bedding. I think Mothercare were coming in around €12 for 2!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I've got one of the Avent breast pumps, think it was about E130 from Mothercare with some bottles, 200 breast pads and some nipple cream.

Hopefully it'll work well. If the baby ever decides to arrive I'll give an update!

• Advertisement
Advertisement