Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was Jesus born?

Options
  • 28-12-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I know Dec 25th is not his real birthday but taken from a pagan festival but googling is giving me different answers. can anyone give me a short simple answer please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Sometime around 4 BC (death of Herod) to 6 AD (governorship of Quirinius), no-one knows the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Terri26 wrote: »
    I know Dec 25th is not his real birthday but taken from a pagan festival but googling is giving me different answers. can anyone give me a short simple answer please?

Feast of the Trumpets in the month of Tishri (September on our Calender) 2BC.

Good links below:

http://biblelight.net/sukkoth.htm (These lads have the right idea about going about getting the date. Their conclusions differ to what I believe but their methods are spot on.)

Also:

http://www.khouse.org/articles/1995/105/

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

sorry I meant what month? am hearing various months. at first I thought it was during the summer, perhaps July, then I read somewhere else Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

sorry I meant what month? am hearing various months. at first I thought it was during the summer, perhaps July, then I read somewhere else Sept

I'm afraid that no one can say for certain with regars to this question. There is no evidence to suggest that the early Christian church put any significance on Jesus' birth date, the focus was firmly place around the Easter events. As you already know you have to go to Constantine to find that a date was celebrated.

I don't have access right now, but I'll try and dig up a link to a talk by a chap called Colin Humphries who attempts to pin down a more definite time between the months you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It was probably round about September or October. As Soul Winner's link explains.

This is calculated in the following way.

We have records in the Old Testament of which courses (or shifts) of priests were supposed to serve in the temple in what months.

We know from Luke's Gospel which course (or shift) to which Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, belonged.

Shortly after his temple service finished, John the Baptist was conceived.

Jesus was born six months after John the Baptist.

So, while Jewish months do not coincide exactly with our Julian calendar, we know Jesus was born in Autumn around September or October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am facenated as well as to when jesus was born but with respect to the op and all other readers I dont think its an issue. Trying not to be judgemental but christmas stopped long ago being about religion.

Advertisement