Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Folder String

Options
  • 28-12-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭

I have a shared folder on my home network (Windows XP Pro) & if I want to Map it as a drive on another machine within my network I just enter its string "\\NEW-RIG\Network Server"

I know this string because I set it up.

My question is this,

What if I didn't know that string or forgot it?

Where or how would I find it.

If I right click the shared folder & check its properties it doesn't show it.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have a shared folder on my home network (Windows XP Pro) & if I want to Map it as a drive on another machine within my network I just enter its string "\\NEW-RIG\Network Server"

I know this string because I set it up.

My question is this,

What if I didn't know that string or forgot it?

Where or how would I find it.

If I right click the shared folder & check its properties it doesn't show it.

-

Right click My Computer, choose "Manage", all shares are listed there under the shares entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Spear wrote: »
    Right click My Computer, choose "Manage", all shares are listed there under the shares entry.

Thanks for the reply Spear,

That only lists the drive letter & the actual name of the shared folder.

It doesn't list the string I'm referring too \\NEW-RIG\Network Server

I know when I set it up originally I could see that string written somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it now.

I thought it was available under "My Network Places" but I can't see it there now.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks for the reply Spear,

That only lists the drive letter & the actual name of the shared folder.

It doesn't list the string I'm referring too \\NEW-RIG\Network Server

I know when I set it up originally I could see that string written somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it now.

I thought it was available under "My Network Places" but I can't see it there now.

-

Do you mean the machine name? In which case, right click my computer, choose properties and go to the Computer Name tab.

I found it!

START>My Network Places>View Workgroup Computers>Double Click on the Workgroup computer>Double Click on the Shared Folder And then the string will appear in the address bar.

networkserver.jpg

Thanks again for the replies.

-

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Zainal

Shares on XP by default are \\MachineName\FolderName\. The FolderName can be defined when you are setting up the share or by right-clicking the shared folder and selecting Sharing and Security or selecting the Sharing tab in the folder properties.

You can also see the shared folders on a particular machine by navigating to \\MachineName\ or \\IPAddress\.

• Advertisement

Zainal wrote: »
    Shares on XP by default are \\MachineName\FolderName\. The FolderName can be defined when you are setting up the share or by right-clicking the shared folder and selecting Sharing and Security or selecting the Sharing tab in the folder properties.

You can also see the shared folders on a particular machine by navigating to \\MachineName\ or \\IPAddress\.

Does the same default apply for Win7?

-

Does the same default apply for Win7?

-

Yes, all Windows editions use UNC to construct these paths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_%28computing%29#Uniform_Naming_Convention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

My Network places, will show computers available and sharing on the network. With the folder name displayed first. Then the path under "comments" heading.

Advertisement