Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble shifting...

Options
  • 28-12-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

So after a long spell without the use of my smallest gear on the cassette due to this (ended up just filing down the piece that was rubbing), I went to just check that it was shifting ok. It seems that shifting up and down between the bigger gears is fine just between last and second last that problems arise. whether i'm shifting up or down the chain slips from second smallest to smallest gear each time. I have adjusted the limit screw but the derailleur wont move out to it which is odd as i understand the gear cable shouldnt have any tension when the derailluer is at the smallest cog. Not sure if i have explained this particularly well, but any help would be greatly appreciated as at the moment i'm all dressed up with nowhere to go... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭sportbilly2008

maybe its the way you dress, or the clubs/nightclubs u frequent.
    ooopps, i thought it was something else you were talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Difficult to say at the moment, but if the chain goes onto the smallest sprocket there's no need to change the limit screw. Check with http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64 to get your H, L and B settings right. After that index the gears. Is this bike as bought or has it been altered/crashed? It's odd that you had to resort to filing your bike frame to achieve clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I put it together from some second hand stuff and bits of new stuff, but as it was my first experience of putting together a bike, it's possible some of the stuff just isn't compatible. it hasnt been crashed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

OK. If you have undone the L screw to the point where the derailleur is no longer moving outward I would say that it's reached the end of its travel so that's what you have to work with. Reading the linked thread would suggest that something is not right with the rear hub set up, it could have been overhauled and a spacer not put back, which would have the effect of shifting the cassette over towards the chainstay. Overhaul the hub as in http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105 the locknut should protrude above the level of the cassette by sufficient to allow the chain on the smallest sprocket to clear the frame. Once this is achieved the the L screw on the derailleur will need to be adjusted to stop the chain falling between the cassette and the chainstay. Then it's set the H screw and re-index, all so easy if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

I have a spare gear hanger which was buried in the bottom of my tool box. It will fit because it came with the frame when I bought it. It might help but it sounds like a set up problem to me. Can you pm me your address and I will post it to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement