Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first fix electrical

Options
  • 27-12-2009 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am at quotation stage with my electrician and am considering items that may well be worth purchasing myself.
    Has enyone gone labour only with their electrician,
    Really items I am looking for online or other are swa cables,sockets,switches,weather proof switches1.5 and 2.5 wires, Cat 5E, Cat 6, CT100, 8 core cable for alarm systems.
    Has anyone used online services or found other outlets better value or even found labour only better value. PM me if names are not allowed.
    Regards,
    pjmcke

Comments

I made significant savings by doing a significant amount of the first fix myself, pre-drilling holes for cabling, fixing backboxes into the studwork cutting out openings for recessed lights etc. Basically all the time consuming tasks that don't need the electicians qualifications to do.

But then again I was building during the "boom!" and the electricians was quite happy to go along with it as it made his time more profitable and he cound get to the next job quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i would try to source the cable from a reputable supplier,not the cheapest.(very important).
    if buying accessories i would decide the 'brand' or 'model' that i want(sockets spots etc)and get quotes for that particular brand/model .

Advertisement