Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

License to drive an ambulance?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Can anyone tell me what kind of license i would need to drive an ambulance?

I have a full B License.

I just apllied to do the theory test in the buses section (D, D1)

Any help would be appreciated.

Niall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Was talking to an ambulance driver about this recently. If I remember correctly its a D1 licence, you have to be 21 or over before you can get it. You have to do advance driving courses after that too.

Your best bet is to ask this in the emergency services forum where there are a few regular posters who are paramedics.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Hi Niall, it's a D1 license that you need to drive an Ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

It depends on the size of the ambulance. Quite a lot of them are under 3500kg and are therefore covered under a B Licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Niall1975

Thanks for your help guys. I'm well over 21 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    You have to do advance driving courses after that too
    While an employer may request additional requirements, there is no statutory requirement to have passed an advanced driving test to legally drive an any vehicle on a public road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

The licence required depends on the weight and passenger capacity of the ambulanceyou are driving, some require C1, some B and some D1 for a variety of reasons.

A word of warning check and double check the weight/passenger capacity of the vehicle you are driving and ensure you have the proper licences. I am aware of one situation where an ambulance is being driven around on B licence when the drivers should be C1 licenced holders. If you are stopped in this situation you the driver would be the one going to court not the owner / employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Niall1975

Thanks alot guys, its amazing how the RSA couldn't answer my question and the motor tax ofice couldn't answer my question either. They said to contact the hse.

I will be with a voluntary organisation so won't be getting paid for it.

I just want to have a legal license. :o

I asked a paramedic and she said it's a C1 i would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Just like any other vehicle, it depends on the size and passenger capacity.

B: 3500kg or less and 8 passengers or less.
    C1: 3500kg - 7500kg and 8 passengers or less.
    C: Over 3500 and 8 passengers or less.
    D1: 9 - 16 passengers. No reference to weight, but it's implied that it's around transit-size.
    D: 9 or more passengers. Again, weight doesn't matter.

For testing purposes it's a bit more complicated, but you can worry about that if you go ahead with the C or D licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Richie15 wrote: »

D1: 9 - 16 passengers. No reference to weight, but it's implied that it's around transit-size.

For testing purposes it's a bit more complicated, but you can worry about that if you go ahead with the C or D licence.

Corrected that,

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

the hse require a C1 and D1 licence (small truck and mini bus) for paramedics,

the advanced test is only there for very recent trainees and is a part of the paramedic course. you dont legally need it to drive an ambo, most of us have never had to do it. although it would be great to do!

there is some rumour that they will get rid of the need for D1 in the future because all the new ambos need only a C1 licence.

my advice: get both.

the privates and voluntary ambos (and the hse) have lots of D1 vehicles in use, and even if you are a hse paramedic there is some times minibus and lots of patient transfer work - depending on the area might use different class of vehicle.

a freind said to me to get the C and D (big truck and big bus) because, you might as well, and those licences are as good as a degree when looking for certain jobs.

good luck with all the tests, and good luck with the ambulance work.

• Advertisement

Richie15 wrote: »

Apologies for being pedantic Richie but there is no lower weight/passenger restriction on the larger categories. For example, C1 is any weight up to 7500kgs, C is any weight, D1 is any number of passengers up to 16, and D is any number of passengers (within reason of course).
    paraletic wrote: »
    there is some rumour that they will get rid of the need for D1 in the future because all the new ambos need only a C1 licence
    Presumably any replacements for those drivers in the HSE who refer to themselves as 'ambulance drivers' but who do patient transfer, would still require at minimum a D1 as they generally drive what are usually referred to as 'mini buses'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

If I was you.

I would look to save time and money by doing the test to cover the heaviest and max passenger capacity, so that in the future you will not be restricted to the ambulance or possibility of work.

Take the C1 (truck) test for example: the C1 and C (which is the bigger truck, over 7500kgs) have exactly the same test. But the C1 will restrict you to drive trucks/ambulance under 7500 kgs and if you need to go up to C you will need to sit the same test again.

Ring the HSE and ask what is the highest category license you would ever need and go get it

Take the C1 (truck) test for example: the C1 and C (which is the bigger truck, over 7500kgs) have exactly the same test. But the C1 will restrict you to drive trucks/ambulance under 7500 kgs and if you need to go up to C you will need to sit the same test again
    Likewise with the D1/D.

(Re the C/C1 - While the test may the same, a sub 7,500kg truck will generally have a standard 5 speed gearbox whereas a larger truck will usually be fitted with a range changer and possibly a splitter box).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

Likewise with the D1/D.

(Re the C/C1 - While the test may the same, a sub 7,500kg truck will generally have a standard 5 speed gearbox whereas a larger truck will usually be fitted with a range changer and possibly a splitter box).

Very true: but I would only do D1 or C1 if i new i would never need D or C... as you know you get the lower category (D1'C1) with the higher (D,C). The OP might go to the fire brigade later on and there the OP would need the C.
    The OP needs options.

Advertisement