Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMX bike for €44

Options
  • 27-12-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

JJB sports are selling the Krave Street BMX bike for €44 reduced from €88.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

is this big enough for an adult or is it only really a kids thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is this it? No mention of sizes on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

That's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

BMX bikes only come in one size generally. they have 20" wheels and the frames are long.
    Unless your 5 foot flat max you will find them too small.

They are ment for stunts and skate parks, now this lump of gick couldnt do anything so its neither ere nor there.

Honestly if you live in Dublin, you are better off taking out Dublin Bikes subscription.

On top of e44, expect another e25 to go on getting it built by a trained mechanic, and from e10-e200 getting it fixed in a few weeks.

They would be grand for kids, once you expect what to come from this bike(break).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

ah ok, was gonna get it just for flying over to the shops and stuff when I'm back in Dublin. I live in Amsterdam and obviously cycle everywhere there, so it pisses me off when i have to walk to the shop or a friends house here. If it's as bad as you say it is i reckon i'll give it a miss, maybe buy an old junker second hand or something.

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    BMX bikes only come in one size generally. they have 20" wheels and the frames are long.

They are ment for stunts and skate parks, now this lump of gick couldnt do anything so its neither ere nor there.

Honestly if you live in Dublin, you are better off taking out Dublin Bikes subscription.

On top of e44, expect another e25 to go on getting it built by a trained mechanic, and from e10-e200 getting it fixed in a few weeks.

They would be grand for kids, once you expect what to come from this bike(break).

The bikes are already built and get a safety check before you leave the shop. All included in the €44 price. Why would you want to spend up to €200 to fix a €44 bike?
    They are sturdy and of course they include a warranty. Any problems just bring it back or don't buy it. It's a bargain alert for a kids BMX bike ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

kona wrote: »

Kona - This bike is €44 - Do you have any real reason to suspect they are of inferior quality or liable to break from normal use?

- If so please state why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Raiser wrote: »
    Kona - This bike is €44 - Do you have any real reason to suspect they are of inferior quality or liable to break from normal use?

Any time a cheap bike comes up on Bargain Alerts (or the Cycling forum), a few general responses come up: you get what you pay for; cheap bikes aren't well made/are too heavy/have useless features/aren't safe etc.; you wouldn't buy a new car/house/TV for €X/Y/Z; it's so bad it'll end up costing you more in repairs, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

griffdaddy wrote: »
    maybe buy an old junker second hand or something.
    I would go second hand, and get a hybrid, a BMX is horrible to go any sort of distance on, even if just nipping to shops I hated using mine.
    Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Why would you want to spend up to €200 to fix a €44 bike?
    They are sturdy and of course they include a warranty.
    He is simply giving fair warning, repair of bikes will cost a lot and not everything is covered by warranty on bikes, due to the wear & tear nature of them. Indeed you would not want to spend 200 fixing it, when 244 could have got you a reasonable second hand bike which would last far longer.
    Raiser wrote: »

I have seen kona posting on the cycling forum and he knows his stuff. As mentioned this topic comes up all the time on the cycling forum, with bikes you usually get what you pay for. The fact it is €44 would be a signal it is not great quality, its basic rational reasoning. Personally I would not spend less than 400 on a new bike, as I see anything less as a false economy for my use (commuting).

rubadub wrote: »
    He is simply giving fair warning, repair of bikes will cost a lot and not everything is covered by warranty on bikes, due to the wear & tear nature of them. Indeed you would not want to spend 200 fixing it, when 244 could have got you a reasonable second hand bike which would last far longer.

Of course and every bike no matter what price will endure wear and tear. So a bike over €44 will require parts from time to time too. For people who don't have over €244 to spend on a bike, here is a good bike for €44.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen kona posting on the cycling forum and he knows his stuff. As mentioned this topic comes up all the time on the cycling forum, with bikes you usually get what you pay for. The fact it is €44 would be a signal it is not great quality, its basic rational reasoning. Personally I would not spend less than 400 on a new bike, as I see anything less as a false economy for my use (commuting).

I thought I would post a bargain alert for this and be done with it... Anyway, for €44 it is a bargain. I don't know where else you'll get a new bmx bike for that price. Ok, it may not have the do-dads that other bmx bikes have but it's an excellent bike for the price. Brakes, tyres etc are working perfectly and my kids love it. So far I have not heard any good specific feedback about the bike just generalisations about "you get what you pay for" (this is bargain alerts right?). If you have any experience with Krave bikes then by all means share it, just don't tar everything that's on sale as poor quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement