Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Lenihan seriously unwell??

Options
  • 27-12-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Note to the Mods: please let this thread exist here without shoeing it into one of the political threads. BL is a big figure in the community in Dublin 15 and as I work over that way a lot I have met him and seen him around the place, as I am sure have several of the posters here.

I managed to ignore all news coverage yesterday. But I was shocked to hear a kerfuffle about today about TV3 "intruding" into Brian Lenihan's privacy. The rumour that TV3 picked up was that he was diagnosed with serious pancreatitis/malignant tumour which is not good news for anyone, ever. Ursula Halligan gave her report yesterday in the style of a political eulogy. Lenihan's family and close friends asked for comment have declined.

I may have been on here disagreeing with his stance on Nama, however passionately I believe this was wrong I want to commisserate with anyone who knows Brian and wish him and his family the best. I am watching the main news on RTE tonight. I understand this unfortunate business will be confirmed in a couple of days.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1227/lenihanb.html
    http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=17785&locID=1.2.141&page=1

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am wondering how TV3 journalists would feel if someone deemed for them that two days was adequete time to tell their family and prepare them for the fact that they had a potentially lifethreatening disease?

If it it was affecting his decision making fine, but at the moment there is nothing going on in relation to same.

I am emailing TV3 now and would ask anyone else who agrees to do same.

Best of luck to him and his family.

Btw. I am FAR from a FF supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

amdublin wrote: »
    I am wondering how TV3 journalists would feel if someone deemed for them that two days was adequete time to tell their family and prepare them for the fact that they had a potentially lifethreatening disease?

If it it was affecting his decision making fine, but at the moment there is nothing going on in relation to same.

I am emailing TV3 now and would ask anyone else who agrees to do same.

Best of luck to him and his family.

Btw. I am FAR from a FF supporter.

Don't condone what TV3 has done....... but just thinking there's no point as what they did wasn't against the current press rules. Sunday Scindlo does this kind of thing WIWO. Ursula Halligan is a good journalist. Listen to her story: there would be no story there unless someone close to Lenihan didnt leak it out. The Department of Finance statement is sombre, which confirms it. All they need is 2 or more sources willing to give details and they run the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm happy to let this thread run OP as requested, but if it starts to get anything like the one I read in After hours this morning, it's gone. Aslo if it becomes ssolely a discussion of journalistic ethics (or the lack thereof) it will be moved.
    This is the D15 forum, so as you say many people here may know him or his family, so I'd ask all posters here to watch what they say.

I met Brian several times in both official and unofficial capacites, and he struck me as a nice enough bloke, even if he did put his hand into my paypacket and fleece me in the last couple of budgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I was on two seperate school parents associations commitees and when we had issues Brian Lenihan was the only local rep to show up.

I hate what they did to him, this is a family man and this issue has/had no public interest at all. Its a totally private matter.

I wish him a speedy recovery and would hate for my family to ever be put into this position.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Don't condone what TV3 has done....... but just thinking there's no point as what they did wasn't against the current press rules.

I don't know about current press rules - do you have a link etc? But I do think the Broadcasting Association of Ireland (www.bai.ie) would say otherwise. See 48(1)(c) below:

Under Section 48(1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009, any viewer or listener may refer a complaint to the BAI if they are unhappy about programme content on an Irish licensed broadcasting service, both radio and television, under the following categories:
    48(1)(a) objectivity & impartiality in news;
    48(1)(a) fairness, objectivity & impartiality in current affairs;
    48(1)(b) harm & offence(Code of Programme Standards);
    48(1)(b) law & order;
    48(1)(c) privacy of an individual.
    I have emailed TV3 and am today making an official complaint to the BAI now. If you agree please do so too. Brian Lenihan has two teenage children - imagine your father telling you have cancer and you have 48hours to deal with it before TV3 reveal all.

I am not a FF supporter but I have always felt that BL has D15 issues in his heart no matter how high up in Governement he was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't know about current press rules - do you have a link etc? But I do think the Broadcasting Association of Ireland (www.bai.ie) would say otherwise. See 48(1)(c) below:

Under Section 48(1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009, any viewer or listener may refer a complaint to the BAI if they are unhappy about programme content on an Irish licensed broadcasting service, both radio and television, under the following categories:
    48(1)(a) objectivity & impartiality in news;
    48(1)(a) fairness, objectivity & impartiality in current affairs;
    48(1)(b) harm & offence(Code of Programme Standards);
    48(1)(b) law & order;
    48(1)(c) privacy of an individual.
    I have emailed TV3 and am today making an official complaint to the BAI now. If you agree please do so too. Brian Lenihan has two teenage children - imagine your father telling you have cancer and you have 48hours to deal with it before TV3 reveal all.

I am not a FF supporter but I have always felt that BL has D15 issues in his heart no matter how high up in Governement he was.

I am in agreement with you.

Advertisement