Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US or Ireland??

Options
  • 27-12-2009 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, having recently become a victim of the Blu Ray of Death i was wondering if it would be worth my while buying my replacement PS3 in the US, i'm heading there on Monday and worked out that i would save roughly €100 when buying over there compared to here (a 120gb slim).

My previous PS3 (a 60 gb US model) was perfect and broke my heart when it broke last week, but it lasted nearly 3 years (it will still read my hard drive so it is still useful!!). I'm torn between buying over there for the bargain price or spending the extra €100 for the comfort of a warranty which is effective in case of any inconvienience, what do ye think?? Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Have you tried anything to fix the PS3 before you commit to buying a new one? My 60GB stopped reading Blu Ray's about a year ago. I did a full reformat (making sure to back it up first :/) and then the drive started working again. It worked fine right up until it got the yellow light last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Yeah I did all that, went into recovery mode and did a full format as well it won't work. Keep getting an error
    whenever I put a disc in sometimes it doesn't read the disc at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Any chance you could go up North and get one? That way you'd still get it a bit cheaper and wouldn't have far to travel if it broke within warranty and wanted to bring it back.

The Slim hasn't been out long enough for anyone to really know the failure rate, but as someone who has one I would imagine it would be pretty low. It doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my old 60GB PS3. The likelihood that it would break within the first year is probably very small. Saving yourself about €100 by buying one in the States seems like the better option.

You could also spend a lot less and just get your PS3 drive repaired? I don't think getting a new laser is that expensive.

Advertisement