Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briah Lenihan Diagnosed with cancer

Options
  • 26-12-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭

Brian Lenihan has been diagnosed with cancer

http://tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=28526&locID=1.2.139.&pagename=home

TV3 News has learned that the Finance Minster Brian Lenihan has been diagnosed with cancer.

Earlier this month Mr. Lenihan admitted himself to hospital after losing sleep and experiencing discomfort with a suspected hernia problem.

TV3 News understands that initial tests revealed that the Minister is suffering from a malignant tumour, that Mr. Lenihan has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer within the last fortnight and that he is set to undergo further tests and treatment.

This afternoon the Department of Finance issued the following statement to TV3.

"The Minister is well and enjoying Christmas with his family. He does not propose to talk to the media about anything until the new year".

Brian Lenihan was appointed to the job of Finance Minister in May 2008 and the following 18 months have brought some of the greatest economic challenges the country has ever seen.

Mr. Lenihan has recently passed a third Budget in 14 months, along with the NAMA legislation and the Govt. bank guarantee scheme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭steamboat

Shame on TV3... that's all the Lenihan family need right now. Pure tabloid TV. I hope he pulls through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ah jeez...pancreatic cancer is one aggressive disease :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

No, it's not tabloid TV, it's an extremely important event that will have implications immediately once the financial markets reopen.
    Yes, he is an individual with a family (and I wish him the very best) but this is a massive story, and TV3 or anyone else cannot keep it under wraps.
    Imagine the alternative - 6 months time, the news breaks that the MoF was diagnosed in Dec 09 but no-one (outside the meeja and gossip circles) knew.

gman2k wrote: »
    No, it's not tabloid TV, it's an extremely important event that will have implications immediately once the financial markets reopen.
    Yes, he is an individual with a family (and I wish him the very best) but this is a massive story, and TV3 or anyone else cannot keep it under wraps.
    Imagine the alternative - 6 months time, the news breaks that the MoF was diagnosed in Dec 09 but no-one (outside the meeja and gossip circles) knew.

Us knowing about it now versus us knowing about it in a couple of weeks isn't going to matter a damn to the financial markets. It wasn't anyone's place to break the news but his. Or whosever he gave permission to tell. I think that was the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I cant belive that person talking about finacial markets when they open

i hope the poor man pulls through this awful disease

thw stress of the last year on him in his job certainley hasnt helped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The man found out on Wednesday, it's not as if he's been keeping it a secret from the country for months. TV3 had no right to give him an ultimatum and then justify it by saying 'well we did give him 48 hours to tell his family'. He may not have wanted to tell his family over Christmas. How dare they decide that 48 hours is sufficient time to break this news to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Regardless of the content of TV3's report (with Ursula Hannigan), it was one of the worst news reports I've ever seen . I'm sorry I ever bothered going to their website to see it.

The only sentence Ursula could put together properly was the sentence she read from the A4 sheet in her hand. All the anchor could ask Ursula as a lead-in question was "This is serious news ..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hornyfemale

I just read the following on the independent website
    "
    Andrew Hanlon, TV3 Director of News, last night defended the broadcast.
    "We held it for two days to enable him to inform his family," he said. "

It made me sick. Who wants to tell their family and friends over Christmas that they are sick. He was probably trying to hold off telling them until the New Year. From personal experience there is no good time to pass on that news but Christmas is the worst. Mr Hanlon makes it sound as if they were doing Brian Lenihan a favour. Sick, sick people at TV3. Shame on you All!

Regardless of the content of TV3's report (with Ursula Hannigan), it was one of the worst news reports I've ever seen . I'm sorry I ever bothered going to their website to see it.

The only sentence Ursula could put together properly was the sentence she read from the A4 sheet in her hand. All the anchor could ask Ursula as a lead-in question was "This is serious news ..."

I only just watched it in the last hour. An utter disgrace of a report. Can't figure out if it was that she was very uncomfortable reporting such news, or if she was just unprepared or cold or something.

When she referred to him in the past tense...yeah...smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Well, if I developed bowel, pancreatic, etc. cancer, I'd certainly want the entire nation to know about it... ...(sarcasm). In my opinion, this again highlights that the media has too much freedom in general, and has been getting away with **** like this for too long now. This has been seen the world over (I mean, media freedom is too much the world over).

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Weird shame that this forum's so quiet...

It's hard to separate criticism's of TV3 pre and post Sunday Indo article. Them reporting doesn't bother me too much. Someone was going to publish the story and TV3 did it. It'll be interesting to see if the BCC/BCI act any harder on them PlayTV complaints against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The effect that this will have on the country and economy are completely irrelevent.

TV3 had absolutly no right to talk about this or to force Brian Lenihen into talking about it. They most certianly could have kept it to themselves until such time as the Minister was ready to discuss.

This is personal matter and it is not up to the media whether it should be made public.

The poor man is going have to go enough over the next few months without it being splashed all over the TV and papers.

Advertisement