Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S'Wonderful Chords

Options
  • 26-12-2009 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I've just taken to learning Jazz songs, I've just learned Julie Londons ''Cry me a river'' original guitar piece and I thought I'd give S'wonderful a bash, and although there are many versions of this great song I cant seem to find on the internet the exact way Julie London did it on guitar ( not that she plays guitar but you catch my drift I'm sure ).

I was hoping that a guitar player in this forum who knows the song could help me out? thank you in advance

God bless
    Stephen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Hi there, I've just taken to learning Jazz songs, I've just learned Julie Londons ''Cry me a river'' original guitar piece and I thought I'd give S'wonderful a bash, and although there are many versions of this great song I cant seem to find on the internet the exact way Julie London did it on guitar ( not that she plays guitar but you catch my drift I'm sure ).

I was hoping that a guitar player in this forum who knows the song could help me out? thank you in advance

God bless
    Stephen.

The guitarist is the legendary Barney kessell
    http://www.stuntzner.brent.org/SWonderful.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Desmo wrote: »
    The guitarist is the legendary Barney kessell
    http://www.stuntzner.brent.org/SWonderful.html

thank you so much Desmo, Unfortunately I dont read music and there are so many ways of playing one chord I wouldnt be sure which type he is playing as my ear is rubbish, I can read tablature no probs ( probably can read it better than I spell it lol ) but not music.

I'm really sorry if I wasted your time Desmo, because there is a possibility it took you ages to find that, but it is at least a really good start and I could perhaps go to my old guitar teacher and ask him for help.

Stephen :)

thank you so much Desmo, Unfortunately I dont read music and there are so many ways of playing one chord I wouldnt be sure which type he is playing as my ear is rubbish, I can read tablature no probs ( probably can read it better than I spell it lol ) but not music.

I'm really sorry if I wasted your time Desmo, because there is a possibility it took you ages to find that, but it is at least a really good start and I could perhaps go to my old guitar teacher and ask him for help.

Stephen :)

No probs Stephen; I think you wont find tab for that accompaniement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

No probs Stephen; I think you wont find tab for that accompaniement.

Tell me about it, I cant even find Julie Londons version ( except for yours ) on the internet of her singing it.

There is a guy somewhere in town that reads and writes scoresheets for people and I'd be willing to pay him to get the tab on that sheet of music you gave me, I love that version of the song.

Stephen.

Tell me about it, I cant even find Julie Londons version ( except for yours ) on the internet of her singing it.

There is a guy somewhere in town that reads and writes scoresheets for people and I'd be willing to pay him to get the tab on that sheet of music you gave me, I love that version of the song.

Stephen.

He would have to know guitar to guess the voicings. It really is not that hard to read standard notation though.

Also you could get a slow downer program. You can buy one for 50 dollars from
    http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/buy.html
    that is called transcribe and it allows you to loop sections of an MP3 or similar music file. It would allow you to take the track and listen to short sections over and over. It even has a facility to help you guess which notes are being played. Then the standard notation is just notes; it really is not so hard to read it at a very basic level (all I can do). I will see if I can figure out the first few bars (have to dig out my Julie London record).

• Advertisement

He would have to know guitar to guess the voicings. It really is not that hard to read standard notation though.

Also you could get a slow downer program. You can buy one for 50 dollars from
    http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/buy.html
    that is called transcribe and it allows you to loop sections of an MP3 or similar music file. It would allow you to take the track and listen to short sections over and over. It even has a facility to help you guess which notes are being played. Then the standard notation is just notes; it really is not so hard to read it at a very basic level (all I can do). I will see if I can figure out the first few bars (have to dig out my Julie London record).

ok, here is just the first line;
    the first 4 bars are an intro and get repeated once.

Look at the sheet music; this is just the first line. There are
    4 bars in the first line; this gets repeated once.
    The chord names are written over the line; I can give you the
    voicings for each of them (there are just 4 chords). These
    voicings come directly from the notation but I checked them to
    see if they sounded like the record and it sounds right.

A69 x x 11 11 12 12
    (chord played on the top 4 strings; sometimes played with the

open 6th string as a bass pedal of the note E)

AMaj7 x x 7 9 9 9

Bm11 x x 9 11 9 12
    (also played with the open 6th string a couple of times)

E13 x x 6 7 7 9

The sheet music gives the order these chords get played in and
    when to play the bass note. Otherwise, get the timing from the
    record. It is very fast :-). This is a classic Barney Kessel
    comping line. He plays block chords very fast and often with the
    open 6th string. If you get this line done; I will write down the
    voicings for the next few chords.

God bless
    Stephen.

Here is a great rendition of that song by locals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZk_zv-kF2g
    The guitar is brilliant (Tom Harte).

Advertisement