Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc E220d estate 2001 - opinions

Options
  • 26-12-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have need for a cheap 7-seater, would prefer a car rather than a people carrier & came across an 2001 E-series Merc 220 diesel. I know the seats in the boot aren't everyone's cup of tea but I want to get an opinion on the car. How reliable & trouble free are they. The car has 115K miles which isnt much for a Merc. Am I buying trouble or should it be as reliable as my current 2002 Skoda Octavia 1.4 which has run perfectly with no problems for the past 2 years. Skoda also has about 105K miles & due NCT in Jan.
    Dealer is looking for 7K - that's what's on the window. Selling the Octavia with a new NCT & going with cash should drop a good bit off that.
    Does the Merc have a timing chain?.

Thanks in advance

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

TigerTim wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have need for a cheap 7-seater, would prefer a car rather than a people carrier & came across an 2001 E-series Merc 220 diesel. I know the seats in the boot aren't everyone's cup of tea but I want to get an opinion on the car. How reliable & trouble free are they. The car has 115K miles which isnt much for a Merc. Am I buying trouble or should it be as reliable as my current 2002 Skoda Octavia 1.4 which has run perfectly with no problems for the past 2 years. Skoda also has about 105K miles & due NCT in Jan.
    Dealer is looking for 7K - that's what's on the window. Selling the Octavia with a new NCT & going with cash should drop a good bit off that.
    Does the Merc have a timing chain?.
    T.
    Hi,
    All Mercedes-Benz engines have chain driven camshaft, so less maintenance and no trouble.
    Is it the CDi engine in that car?
    The mileage is low for well maintained car, it is the last thing to worry about. The car itself is good and comfortable, however is not as well built as the previous model (up to 1995/96) and the major issue is rust, so inspect the paint carefully for signs of corrosion starting in the metal under the paint. Also inspect for corrosion in the seams, behind the seals at the tops of the doors, and in the underbonnet seams.
    Mechanically check if the glow plugs are all OK by starting the engine from cold (after night). They are cheap bits to replace, but well known as tricky task to do. Any other electrical and mechanical equipment - check as in any car. This car should have the self leveling rear axle - check if it works correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

i have a c class, with the 220 cdi engine.

mechanically fantastic..155k later

electrics dodgy as **** though...be doggy wide

Thanks for the replies. Bid worried about the dodgy electrics. Had a Peugeot 607 before which drove me mad with alarms going off for everything. Thought the French were the only ones with dodgy electrics !!!. Merc is fine car for small money - once I'd keep it away from the main dealer.

Thanks,

T.

where are you based tim? if need cork and you purchase, gimme a shout. my mechanic is very good with mine and has access to a merc diagnostics laptop

• Advertisement

Thanks, 1922. I'm in Kerry. As far as I know, there's an independant mechanic here with the computer as well. Muct check it out.
    What type of electrical problems did you have - were they just annoying or show stoppers. Did the car ever let you down/ fail to start?. Was it costly?.

Thanks,

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I wouldn't go for a 2001 they might have ironed out most of the bugs in them by 2001, I prefer the older W124 that was made up to '95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIV_hHPAFQ&feature=PlayList&p=E718BDCEF39BE578&index=0&playnext=1

TigerTim wrote: »
    Thanks, 1922. I'm in Kerry. As far as I know, there's an independant mechanic here with the computer as well. Muct check it out.
    What type of electrical problems did you have - were they just annoying or show stoppers. Did the car ever let you down/ fail to start?. Was it costly?.

Thanks,

T.

only once ever did she fail to start, some problem with the fuse for the starter motor. it was a problem accross the board and required a modified fuse holder. had a problem with central/locking alarm, the air mass meter (which effected the tiptronic gear change)

and a few other small annoying things. that said iover the course of 3 years it not all bad

Thanks for the replies. Will probably take a look at the car once the weather improves. Hopefully a lot ot the issues such as the fuse holder will have been sorted with 115K on the clock.

Thanks,

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

aye let us know how you get on with the bus :D it must be one of the more capacious cars on the market

• Advertisement

Took a look at the estate yesterday & was amazed at the rust. Ther rear arches were very rusty, Was also rust at the bottom & top corners of the doors. Found a few bits of overspray here & there. The pics looked fantastic but in the flesh, it was a bit of a dog. I walked away. Salesman didnt seem too interested in a sale either !!

Thanks for the help,

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Fabritzo wrote: »
    I wouldn't go for a 2001 they might have ironed out most of the bugs in them by 2001, I prefer the older W124 that was made up to '95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIV_hHPAFQ&feature=PlayList&p=E718BDCEF39BE578&index=0&playnext=1

I hate that vid.. I rrrreally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

That E class is solid. The local taxies use them (1997ish) and they are still going strong. They have the 3 litre turbo diesel rather then the CDI but bodywork wise they are great. There was a recall on the doors for rust, so check if that has been done. Its free as far as I know.

Advertisement