Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows the roads today in Longford?

Options
  • 26-12-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭

I hope to drive from Athlone to Cavan later so wondering on the state of the roads from say Ballymahon - Granard.

Any updates would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Alot of the roads from Athlone to Ballymahon are in very bad shape,likewise towards Cavan.If you are going,go early and take your time,the back roads all over the county are feckin lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

My husband was just at mass in Ballinalee and the car slid a few feet sideways down the car park while he was in there. Very very icy round here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Travelled Longford to Carrick Boy road. Absolute death trap. Several corners the car almost went completely out of control even though was only going 30mph and slower. The road from carrick boy to athlone (through ballymahon) was mostly OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

The roads are a lot better now than they were at the end of December, but it's still quite treacherous in places and there are still little patches of ice here and there, and steep hills can still be very difficult.

For the next few days my advice to fellow Longford drivers is this:
    - Avoid any road travel that isn't necessary
    - Go AT LEAST 1/3 slower than you normally would, 2/3 slower in the mornings when conditions tend to be worse.
    - approach inclines or visible ice with extreme care.

Advertisement