Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I need some nice cigars

Options
  • 26-12-2009 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Can't find a smokers forum (hidden me thinks)
    I was thinking of getting some cigars. Something to ring in a special occasion this christmas holidays.
    I know fox's on Grafton st, Dublin do some nice one's but was looking at something on west Dublin.
    I can't thnk of anywhere. It would be somewhere to the max of 30 euro. 2-4 cigars.

I appreciate any replies!
    If i have to travel to town (Dublin) then I will.
    thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

To be honest, I prefer Decent Cigar at the top of Grafton St (it's upstairs so look for a small door) to Fox's. It's a cigar only shop and the lads in there are fantastic. I've been in there with a friend spending a few hundred Euro and on my own buying one and both times the acted the exact same (a nice free espresso) and they'll take you through the brands and marques, what's smoking well at the moment, what they're smoking at the moment. And they have no problem telling you what's good for your budget and taste in cigars.

However if you're spending €30 I'd say you'd get two decent cigars or three smallish ones from a limited selection. I know some people who'd pay €30 for a single cigar.

Definitely head to Decent Cigar though, great people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There are really only the three cigar emporiums out there although some offlicences and hotels do have their own humidors. But if you want a cigar at it's best then you have to go to one of the 3 shops.
    They are The Decent Cigar Company, on Grafton Street near Captain Americas. You'll see the wooden indian statue outside.
    The other two are opposite the gates of Trinity college, Pettersons and JJ Foxes. Of those two I prefer Petersons but thats just a personal choice.
    If you are interested in the smoking forum you need to get intouch with Des and he'll grant you access.
    Cigar.ie is a great resource of information for cigar smokers and they hold a monthly herf (a smoke-athon :)) every month or so.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I have spent some money in Petersons and Foxes in the past, and think they are quite fine, both were no judgmental as to my own ignorance of the subject at the time..
    A girl in Foxes talked me through the options for the price I was thinking of paying and either side of that price.
    Actually the guy in Petersons was also helpful when I was in there a number of years back.
    I must try the Cigar Shop ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Thanks for all the posts and thanks for who to talk to, oldgoat.
    I'll take up the offers but I think decent cigar may be a bit insulted on my low end budget. Max I could swing is 50euro total. Its a once off for some fun and chilling to a nice drink. I've always heard good things about foxes but I'll hit all 3 shops over the coming days and see. I may even go in tomorrow early and make the most of it!
    I've been reading up on cigars. I generally just go by the tobacconist's recomendations where I happen to be.
    I love the image and the feel of a cigar. I am an ex cigarette smoker but the idea of a nice cigar in good company in my element with friends is just soo appealing! I will post up my purchases too. For comment :)

*Apologese for poor spelling.

congo_90 wrote: »
    I'll take up the offers but I think decent cigar may be a bit insulted on my low end budget.
    Balderdash. The Decent Cigar will never be insulted by the offer of cash in exchange for cigars. :)
    They will happly talk you through what you want and expect and make recomendations and their cigar of the week is usually a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

OldGoat wrote: »
    ...and their cigar of the week is usually a good place to start.

Now I want one. :o:(

Now I want one.
    I just put a 7" Grafton 54 ring into the humidore. I love getting cigar pressies. :D This time next week I'll find somewhere to sit comfortable for two hours and enjoy that with a martini or two. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

OK I haven't smoked a decent cigar in a while but I'd definitely recommend something Cuban like Romeo y Julietta or Montecristo. Surprisingly mild despite their size.

I just realise I've shown myself to be an unsophisticated cigar afficianado but hey it's late, and I'll live with the fact that I didn't point you towards a Henry Wintermans or Half Corona! ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

OldGoat wrote: »
    they hold a monthly herf (a smoke-athon :)) every month or so.

now now now

theres an idea and a half.......

i love a good cigar, but i don't have a clue about them tbh. maybe OG needs to host a herf or two for educational purposes you know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I think Cubans are about 12quid a piece for your stnadard stuff from that Grafton St place. Not cheap by any means...

Cigars are great once in a blue moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Thanks for all the posts and thanks for who to talk to, oldgoat.
    I'll take up the offers but I think decent cigar may be a bit insulted on my low end budget. Max I could swing is 50euro total.

Don't worry about that at all. Like I said they treated me the exact same when I was buying one, as the time I was there with a friend spending 100's of Euro. They know there's a big market of people who might buy three or four cigars a year for special occasions, and that they're just as important as regular smokers. They'll be glad to help you out.
    I love the image and the feel of a cigar. I am an ex cigarette smoker but the idea of a nice cigar in good company in my element with friends is just soo appealing! I will post up my purchases too. For comment :)

I agree with you there, I haven't had a cigar in months because it just didn't feel right. A friend will have a couple a week and he loves them, but for me they're an enhancer. If I'm feeling a bit off, or not totally relaxed I won't enjoy it.

The best cigar I ever had was a Cohiba Siglo II. I was down at the Lough in Cork and had a few pints. I was sitting in the sunshine with a few friends watching the pretty lady joggers and the swans swimming and the dogs and toddlers chasing things and it was perfect. It was probably the most relaxed time I've had in ages, the cigar was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

here's my "storage device",got it a while back to go with my other pastime,i soak the sponge in some midleton whiskey (which i have stashed away from my outlaws)for moistness
    _MG_0019.jpg
    _MG_0020.jpg

Got held up going to cigar shop. Me thinks enjoying em in the pub won't happen granted how cold it is out latley. Neither can smoke in the house (stupid families). Still going to buy soon though.
    My new years resolution: Smoke cigars..

.243 wrote: »
    here's my "storage device"
    I'm assuming you don't usually have your humadore sitting on the radiator. :P
    My new years resolution: Smoke cigars..
    New years resolution: Find more cigar friendly pubs/hotels.

And so. to resurect a thread and to show my faith in my word. I have finally got some nice cigars!
    Unfortunatly finances and having to afford to stay alive prioritised cigars for a bit. I put a bit of money aside a while back. Went into Petersons on Grafton st. The man was very nice and walked me through a few types. We settled on the Toro and today I purchased them. :D

I'm off on a small break this week so I shall be enjoying these to their full extent.
    This could be the beginning of something good
    Click for larger view
    1156a_thumb.jpg

What brand did he sell you? Toro is a name for a cigar size - roughly 6" in length and a large ring guage, about a 50.
    Tis a big cigar, much bigger then I'd recoment to a first-timer. Just to let you know that you don't HAVE to smoke it all in one sitting.
    I'd be happier hearing you enjoyed the cigar in two sittings rather then over-indulging and not enjoying the experience.

Allow yourself a good hour for the smoke.

It is a peterson brand (their logo on the band). Thanks old goat. I've no intentions of attempting this in one sitting ha.
    Is it not poor etiquette to let it die half way? I intend half on the journey, half when down there and the other when I feel I can.
    They are a tad intimidating and I was looking more towards a half corona. I'll let you know how it smokes.

Is it not poor etiquette to let it die half way?
    Well, it is and it isn't. :) I have no problem laying a cigar down and re-lighting it later (same night or the following day). It's the reason I always carry an empty tube with me, to store the butt for later. I know, I can hear afficanodos cringing all over the planet but occasionally finantial constraints mean that I'd rather keep a half a cigar then chuck it away after spending €20 on it.

Did you go into the Pattersons walk in humidor? I love it when they open those doors and the smell wafts out. I could spend hours in there.

Advertisement