Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4WD ignorance

Options
  • 26-12-2009 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭

Had interesting discussion with a neighbour couple of nights ago over driving on ice (fairly lethal here at the moment). He has the Nissan equivalent of a Ford Maverick, said it was total crap in the ice, I said did you use 4WD, he said no, would it help? FFS!!!!!! Why do they buy them! Has never had it in low range either despite frequently towing horse boxes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

As far as driving on ice is concerned its pretty obvious that 4wd is going to make it easier.
    Low range for towing? Well you wouldnt want to drive in low-range on a motorway. Maybe for taking off in muddy field? Low range is mostly for very steep ascents & descents no?
    I only use low-range (4L) for really rough/rocky or slippery terrain. Like the last time i was out on a trail with munster 4x4 there was a very steep rutted hill so i used it, its a fairly amazing gear ratio when mated to a big diesel engine. Just drags your truck on & on.
    Also used 4L during the recent floods when travelling on badly flooded roads ie. water well over the wheel arches. You can do this using regular 4wd but be careful not to go too fast or she will stall. Especially if you dont have a snorkel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Sorry should have made myself clearer, it was late!:o

I meant low range for starting off on hills and manoevering, saves slipping the clutch and gives you more control when reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats one reason the Toyota 90 series are permanent 4wd no need to think, just drive and for most it makes sense.
    What is the small lever for? most would ask and if they need to ask they shouldn't be touching it.

The vast majority of Discovery 1 and 2s in the UK will have the transferbox/difflock lever siezed through lack of use. Had to take the mechanism apart on my 110 when I bought it to free it off as it had never been used.

I have to say driving in the last weeks conditions in the 90 series TLC was a pleasure, having 4wd makes a big difference in these conditions, didn't even need to touch the 2nd lever. Although it does get a regular stirring when I take it off road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have seen a good few Troopers over the years been brought in for service with a side complaint of dodgy steering.

On inspection they had been left in 4wd. Simpletons!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Came across the local property developer stranded half way up a hill in the 08 Disco this morning.Giving out yards about it.Hopped in set her up and off she went like a train.He had never touched the terrain response or range lever since he got it.cannot believe tha amount of people on the roads that have no idea how to handle ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Will have to make a purchase if these extreme weather conditions are to continue
    Something 04 onwards commercial that will do both farm and social/domestic and pleasure
    Thinking of a Defender/Landcruiser/Tourag
    What suggestions have you
    Current car 2009 A6

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

massey woman i bought a used 07 model landcruiser in september and haven't found anyway to fault it yet, terrific round the farm

I speak only for myself but the middle one would be my choice.
    Disco- not reliable enough.
    Toerag not able to tow-offroad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

I agree Landcruisers so popular
    But I have a thing about Defenders
    If one could get either that werent farmed or building site models
    (apologies on grammar front)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Ya wont go wrong with a cruiser. You'd pick up a 99 or 2000 one for small money enough, they never fail

I agree Landcruisers so popular
    But I have a thing about Defenders
    If one could get either that werent farmed or building site models
    (apologies on grammar front)

They don't have to have done any work to be unreliable.
    Box-fresh models give trouble.
    There is a reason that LC are popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Deadly Dave

fastrac wrote: »
    Came across the local property developer stranded half way up a hill in the 08 Disco this morning.Giving out yards about it.Hopped in set her up and off she went like a train.He had never touched the terrain response or range lever since he got it.cannot believe tha amount of people on the roads that have no idea how to handle ice.
    I think half the problem is that the salesmen /women dont know what they are selling and cant advise the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

in all fairness how many 4x4s actually see off roads anymore??

my dad has sworn never to buy a car again...has a 07 ford ranger. the use he's made of it last month for the floods and this month for ice/frost is invaluable...

4x4 = win, win, win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Will have to make a purchase if these extreme weather conditions are to continue
    Something 04 onwards commercial that will do both farm and social/domestic and pleasure
    Current car 2009 A6

Landcruiser and nothing else, rest are made from poop or drink more diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

My father has a Range Rover Vogue which will never get a bit of mud on it :rolleyes:

but it was very good in the recent conditions and for the odd bit of towing.

than again, he has also had in reverse order, a freelander, classic range rover, series III, another series III.
    I dont think any ever got dirty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

which being land rovers all gave their share of problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Current car 2009 A6

We obviously don't have a lot in common Massey Woman........haha:)
    I currently have a 06 Nissan Pathfinder and am looking for an Audi A6.....suppose if this weather continues, I might be glad to hold onto Pathfinder.
    Being 7 seater, Pathfinder are nice practical machine but just have longing for A6 Avant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I also have the "nissan equivalent of the ford maverick" Its called a terrano and they are rubbish, but thats besides thje point. From my experience there is no limited slip differential and if there is it only works in 4L. I stick to 2H unless there is absolutely no traction because:
    1. I'm scared to death of winding up the drive shaft
    2. It sticks in 4wd
    3. It seems to make no difference having 2 wheels spinning over 1 in most cases and is absolutely no substitute for careful driving in the first place.

Saying that it is day 7/8 of the roscommon snow situation today and we have about 1-2 inches of pure ice over all the roads and footpaths so lately it has been 4H (only when the wife is in the car though, more fun in RWD mode).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Guys, ice is ice - no grip regardless of how many wheels are driving.

Slush/Muck/some grip, different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

Fishtits wrote: »
    Guys, ice is ice - no grip regardless of how many wheels are driving.

Slush/Muck/some grip, different story.
    Fishtits, you'd have to see a Landcruiser in action on ice! I ended up in a bush at the side of an icy road up the mountains recently in my RWD car :o and there was a FWD van in the bush on the other side of the road. 2 days later, ice still packed on the (very steep) road, my friend & his LWB Landcruiser not only got its own weight up that hill (which you could barely walk on) but pulled the weight of my car too, out of the bush and all the way up the hill. Every time I'd get a bit of traction, I'd lose it as quick and the towrope would jerk at the back of the landcruiser, but it didn't budge, just kept on up the hill like a train, the traction Landcruisers have is amazing, even on ice, I wouldn't have beleived it without seeing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My Paj is lethal on the ice in 2WD mode,switching on the 4WD means the back end doesn't get twitchy if I accelerate too much.

Good article in todays Indo berating 4x4 drivers who haven't a clue and praising the few that do.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/eddie-cunningham-cold-war-time-suv-showoffs-got-a-grip-1998941.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

101sean wrote: »
    Good article in todays Indo berating 4x4 drivers who haven't a clue and praising the few that do.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/eddie-cunningham-cold-war-time-suv-showoffs-got-a-grip-1998941.html

Its true what he's saying alright. I'd say about 75% of 4x4 owners have absolutely no interest in 4x4ing & wouldnt even know how to use them.:rolleyes: A bit sad really.
    I see dozens of spotless shiny newish Landcruisers/discoverys/rangerovers/pajero's everyday & they appear to be used for shopping or taking the kids to school & little else.
    Why would you want a 2.5 ton truck for the tescos run? I dont get it.:(

I had to tow a woman in an Avensis up an Icy hill today, she was just wheelspinning, I hooked her up and took off in low 2nd difflocked no drama just pulled away steady and got her to a level area where she could start off again.
    The road was a sheet of ice after overnight rain froze on the ground.
    Hard to beat a good 4x4 in those conditions, if you know how to use them.

I had 3 4x4's turn up late for the DoEs today, saying they got held up on bad roads. No doubt traffic could have been to blame but 2 of them, a Navara and a Hilux were running in 2 wheel drive.

Slidey wrote: »
    I had 3 4x4's turn up late for the DoEs today, saying they got held up on bad roads. No doubt traffic could have been to blame but 2 of them, a Navara and a Hilux were running in 2 wheel drive.

Probably pimped to the last with lots of chrome and huge wide tyres as well?
    Those wide tyres are a disaster in snow and ice, slide like grease.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Probably pimped to the last with lots of chrome and huge wide tyres as well?
    Those wide tyres are a disaster in snow and ice, slide like grease.

My mate has an 03 X5 and he was trying to come from Galway to Sligo last Sunday. He gave up after an hour and turned back. 20" wheels :P

He rang me and was telling me how badly it was handling, i suggested he turn off the traction control, after he did that he said it improved a bit but he still gave up and went back to Galway :)

• Advertisement

I run stock 16" steelies with 265/75-16 BFG AT They really surprised me on the Ice today,gripped well, even when I could hardly walk on the ground amazing really.

Advertisement