Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

classic game room on youtube

Options
  • 25-12-2009 5:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anybody watches classic game room on youtube, i am subscribed to it and i must say i enjoy his game and hardware reviews.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I watch it. They are quite enjoyable and cover more popular retro games then the likes of AVGN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

indeed, I find his hardware reviews and comparisons very entertaining also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I watched a minute of the GoldenEye review - ''this game still holds up today'', among other slightly more contentious issues that I'll avoid for fear of an over-caffeinated closet GoldenEye apologist being amongst our numbers - and switched it off.

Anyone that actually thinks GoldenEye is truly playable in the 21st Century either is working on a 10-year technology delay or has their rose-tinted glasses turned up to Woodstock level. Indeed it has a big place in video games history as one of the first console first-person shooters that made the genre work well on game pads, but in terms of playing it today it's a curio at best. It also bears repeating that spite-based games generally hold up a lot better to the ravages of time than 3D games, specifically one from the early days of true console-based 3D.

The show isn't for me, anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's easier to have well drawn, well animated sprites moving smoothly and so on than to have a polygon based character interact as convincingly due to all the maths the processor has to deal with.
    Arguably the 2D game was perfected on the NeoGeo AES/MVS many many years ago, while the likes of Braid has simply built on those excellent foundations.
    3D vector/polygon based games are really almost as old as the above, older of you consider SpaceWar to be a polygon (albeit 2D), but it has yet to be perfected at all, we are still exploring the limits and have yet to find any, but the best of the best of years gone by, Star Wars, Battlezone, Starglider II, Elite, Goldeneye, Quake, Unreal Tournament, HalfLife, Medal Of Honour and so on, they all were hailed at one time as the pinnacle of 3D, then fell to become a shuddering mess compared to the latest thing.
    And so the Half Life 2 engine is seen now as dated, despite the game still looking axcellent, Gran Turismo on the PSone still plays beautifully, despite the graphics looking, to some, to be like an artifact, Metal Gear Solid is still my favourite of the series and plays well now, although 3D tech hsa marched on.
    So to Goldeneye, I reckon it's biggest problem is not it's visuals, but the ingame movement speed, too slow by todays standards, and an issue easily fixed in some eventual XBLA/VC release, not to mention a more conventional controller map.
    With those two things fixed, I would still enjoy a singleplayer game of Goldeneye, although I know you multiplayer fans seem to whore yourselves out to the latest shiny shiny thing that comes your way, hard to see you turning away from your COD:MW2 monitors to play a spot of 4 player Goldeneye on the antenna array...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's easier to have well drawn, well animated sprites moving smoothly and so on than to have a polygon based character interact as convincingly due to all the maths the processor has to deal with.
    Arguably the 2D game was perfected on the NeoGeo AES/MVS many many years ago, while the likes of Braid has simply built on those excellent foundations.
    3D vector/polygon based games are really almost as old as the above, older of you consider SpaceWar to be a polygon (albeit 2D), but it has yet to be perfected at all, we are still exploring the limits and have yet to find any, but the best of the best of years gone by, Star Wars, Battlezone, Starglider II, Elite, Goldeneye, Quake, Unreal Tournament, HalfLife, Medal Of Honour and so on, they all were hailed at one time as the pinnacle of 3D, then fell to become a shuddering mess compared to the latest thing.
    And so the Half Life 2 engine is seen now as dated, despite the game still looking axcellent, Gran Turismo on the PSone still plays beautifully, despite the graphics looking, to some, to be like an artifact, Metal Gear Solid is still my favourite of the series and plays well now, although 3D tech hsa marched on.
    So to Goldeneye, I reckon it's biggest problem is not it's visuals, but the ingame movement speed, too slow by todays standards, and an issue easily fixed in some eventual XBLA/VC release, not to mention a more conventional controller map.
    With those two things fixed, I would still enjoy a singleplayer game of Goldeneye, although I know you multiplayer fans seem to whore yourselves out to the latest shiny shiny thing that comes your way, hard to see you turning away from your COD:MW2 monitors to play a spot of 4 player Goldeneye on the antenna array...

I'd agree on just about every point up to a point, especially on some games holding up better than others - design is eternal and the original Metal Gear Solid is a good example of that.

On GoldenEye, though, I'd diverge a bit. It also bears adding that part of what makes GoldenEye hard to stomach nowadays is the fact it suffers from being a 3D game based on a cartridge - the N64 was had a real problem with games being far too blurry in general, even when object and characters were up close.

If that was fixed along with more a more modern speed and controls who knows what it would be like, but the fact it isn't and since it's deeply mired in a licensing quagmire (Nintendo, Rare and the James Bond license have all went diametrically opposed ways since its release) I wouldn't expect such a refresh to happen anytime soon.

To further what I was saying about 3D in general, I'd say it is starting to mirror the progress of 2D games in that we're now reaching a level of fidelity - Half-Life 2 being one of those that will hold up very well - where people will be able to effectively experience a greater swath of today's best games without feeling they're getting an overly out-modded experience visually. That's also partly because games are being produced in higher resolutions and will have ready-made versions scaled to suit a large amount of monitors and televisions in the future.

Oh, and Team Fortress 2 - that's a real multi player gem of today as well as a game whose art style will lend itself to a very long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement