Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting smb over 2 routers

Options
  • 25-12-2009 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

I have a netgear (wgr614) wireless router from ntl and a tp-link (tl-r860) switch ive set it up so that i can access the internet on both routers and i can also ftp from a comp on one router to one on the other router.

The problem is i need smb access across the routers as im using xbmc and it cant see the pc on the other router. Is there some way to join the two routers on the one network so they can share their smb tables ? i cant seem to find any options on either router to bridge either of them so im at a loss. Cant afford to buy new hardware right now so any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

to check, your network layout is:

ntl modem > netgear > tp-link
    | |
    client 1 client 2

?

is the link from the netgear to the tp-link plugged into the tp-links? WAN port? If so you could be confusing the issue and segmenting the network. If you can plug the netgear link into one o fht elan ports of the tp-link, and disable any sort of dhcp options, routing options etc. on the tp-link, you should be able to share the network perfectly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

yea that did it thanks for the help

Advertisement