Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mentally Unstable Woman Knocks Pope To The Ground

Options
  • 24-12-2009 11:35pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Its lucky she didn't have a weapon!

Woman knocks Pope down at Christmas Mass

The Pope is celebrating the traditional Christmas Eve Mass, despite being knocked down by a woman at the start of the service in St Peter's Basilica.

The woman - who is believed to be mentally unstable - jumped the security barriers as the Pope entered the basilica, causing the pontiff to fall.

The Pope appeared to be unhurt and recovered to lead the mass.

The midnight service started two hours early because officials do not want the 82-year-old pontiff to get tired.

The Vatican spokesman said the decision to move the midnight Mass to 2200 (2100 GMT) was "to make Christmas a little less tiring for the Pope, who has many engagements".

Pope Benedict XVI earlier appeared briefly at nightfall at the window of his studio to light a candle in a sign of peace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

She didn't chuck a scale model of the Italian parliament building at him per chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 qberry

=Sierra Oscar;63644111]Its lucky she didn't have a weapon!

This is a wicked generation of which many have no regard for authority, whether Religious or Political....therefore the Pope would be wise to stay behind closed doors from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

qberry wrote: »
    This is a wicked generation of which many have no regard for authority, whether Religious or Political....therefore the Pope would be wise to stay behind closed doors from now on.

Yep, exactly. No one in authority was ever attacked before this generation, especially the pope, imagaine if someone took a shot at him:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

This sad, I will pray for the woman and also Our Holy Father Pope Benedict.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

who is believed to be mentally unstable
    Shouldn't title reflect this rather than go all out and claim she was?
    Who believes she is unstable? The church for pushing the pope?

Actually it is the church:
    A Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Ciro Benedettini said the woman appeared to be mentally unstable and had been taken into custody by Vatican police

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Turns out she is the same woman who attempted to assault the pope last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

If u watch the vid its actually the security guard that pulled the pope over... She was holding the pope, guard pulled her to the ground n the pope followed... Good oul domino effect

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Magnus wrote: »
    Shouldn't title reflect this rather than go all out and claim she was?
    Who believes she is unstable? The church for pushing the pope?

Actually it is the church:

Perhaps they are privy to more information than you, especially if this is turning out to be her annual go at Benny.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Turns out she is the same woman who attempted to assault the pope last year too.
    Interesting. Link?

Edit: Nm, got it here
    Perhaps they are privy to more information than you
    Yeah, but I referred to the title of the thread. It wasn't started by the Vatican police.
    In the video it seems the guards tackles her as she launches at pope. She grabs the pope and they all topple over.

Edit: If this was her second attempt then indeed it would indicated some sort of mental issue.

Magnus wrote: »

Edit: If this was her second attempt then indeed it would indicated some sort of mental issue.

The Beeb has more to say on this incident. It appears the unfortunate woman has been taken to a mental facility for observation. More is the shame that Cardinal Etchegaray (whoever that is) broke his hip during the scuffle. 87 year olds don't easily recover from something like that. Indeed, it can often be the beginning of a rapid decline of health.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8430118.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I feel no more sorry for the pope than I do the apparently mentally unstable woman. The churches treatemnt of women is a disgrace, still not justifying your actions here. I Have a set of GP both 87 yo. There could be more than meets the eyes maybe she was kept with the magdeline sister or taken from her parents by the church and has some childhood demons. Or it could be a straight forward mentally ill woman. i only saw the headlines last next for xmas eve pints. TV hasn't been on all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Perhaps she isn't mentally ill - outside the understandible anger that could be expected to arise in someone seriously abused as a child. And so, that anger is taken out on one who gives mealy mouthed, politically-motivated responses to the likes of the Murphy report?

Perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    In fairness, knocking down an eighty-two year old and breaking the hip of an eighty-seven year old, is nothing to be proud of, even if you're not a fan.

Agreed it was why I mentioned my nan and grandad being the same age. She is angry at someone, but it should seems to be misplaced to a logically thinking person anyway.

Until all the propaganda and tabloid press have milked it and the truth comes out. I can't make my mind up about the woman. Her actions on the other hand are a different matter. That's all I have to say on the issue for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ShroomPicker

I see what she did as a stand against the hypocrisy and lies of the church. OK, so knocking down an old man is not cool, but its the symbolism that is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I see what she did as a stand against the hypocrisy and lies of the church. OK, so knocking down an old man is not cool, but its the symbolism that is important.

I wasn't aware that any reason has been given, other than mental illness, as to why the woman launched her attack.

PDN wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that any reason has been given, other than mental illness, as to why the woman launched her attack.

Well lets face it, mental illness is the only reason the Church would be willing to attribute to it...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Not for the 82 year old, I would wager.

And I would be no fan of Ratzy.

Well lets face it, mental illness is the only reason the Church would be willing to attribute to it...

As opposed to posters on boards.ie inventing reasons with no evidence?

I'm not a Catholic, btw, but I understand from news reports the woman is receiving psychiatric treatment - which would be based on medical opinion rather than on what the Church says.

As I said in my original post, that's just how I see what she did, whether it was or was not her actual reason. I'm not claiming to know any facts about it at all.

• Advertisement

But what if this wasn't the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

qberry wrote: »
    =Sierra Oscar;63644111]Its lucky she didn't have a weapon!

giving the church respect and authority in our schools has resulted in so many people now turning their back on the religion just like me and many of my friends,
    tell me why i should respect the pope any more than anyone else?

whether it's people in authority or not,the main point is people should have respect for mankind regardless of colour or creed
    when i was in school we were really made to treat the priest like a king,this was wrong,nobody would stand up to them

heavyballs wrote: »
    tell me why i should respect the pope any more than anyone else?

I don't think you should. But I think attacking any elderly person is out of order.

I'm not a Catholic, btw, but I understand from news reports the woman is receiving psychiatric treatment - which would be based on medical opinion rather than on what the Church says.

Well this doesn't change much because of doctor patient confidentially reasons. Maybe she is just suffering from stress for reasons unknown.
    Once again I am not a doctor and will not offer medical advice or commentry on a privately owned forum. For obvious reason. :o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and who was telling us that she was suffering from a mental illness? The media were quoting Vatican officials within minutes of the incident. However, none were able to (or at least prepared to) identify her! Was that not strange?

The fact that she is receiving treatment still does not mean that she needs it!
    Whatever is going on, we will never really know due to the potential for PR spin and/or conspiracy theories.
    Either way, to attack an old man isn't on. But I was not raped as a child, etc. so I do not know how I would feel were I in that situation. However, I do feel that Herr Ratzinger is far removed from what Christ wanted to represent him on this little rock. The pomp, the wealth and the politics associated with the Catholic organisation, never mind the abuse, cover-ups, incitement of hatred, etc. that go on will ensure that attacks like this will continue!
    Personally, I won't shed any tears should they continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was watching the TV when it happened and sky, bbc, etc. all were able to comment on her mental state before any conclusion was drawn up about her being the same person as last year (by over an hour).

Thread locked pending advice from Admins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement