Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coca-Cola Christmas Ad

Options
  • 24-12-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey boardsies! First post after a looong time of just reading!

Anyways, has anyone noticed the coca cola christmas ad this year, you know the one with the trucks rolling through town all lit up and what not, the people singing "holidays are coming, holidays are coming....." and at the end the little boy runs out as the last truck goes by and then the picture of Santa holding the bottle of coke on the back of the truck winks at him ;) and its just a pure magical, melt your heart happy christmas feeling! Well he doesn't wink anymore, wtf is that about!!? :eek:

Please don't tell me it was cut due to some fear of it being construed as encouraging pedophilia or something. Its Santa for god sake, if someone takes him winking at a child to be suggestive, then they are the ones with a problem! I bet thats exactly why it was cut though. What is wrong with society....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We don't know yet why he doesn't wink (I haven't seen the ad) so you might be overreacting a bit there.

Happy Christmas :wink, wink:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Hey boardsies! First post after a looong time of just reading!

Anyways, has anyone noticed the coca cola christmas ad this year, you know the one with the trucks rolling through town all lit up and what not, the people singing "holidays are coming, holidays are coming....." and at the end the little boy runs out as the last truck goes by and then the picture of Santa holding the bottle of coke on the back of the truck winks at him ;) and its just a pure magical, melt your heart happy christmas feeling! Well he doesn't wink anymore, wtf is that about!!? :eek:

Please don't tell me it was cut due to some fear of it being construed as encouraging pedophilia or something. Its Santa for god sake, if someone takes him winking at a child to be suggestive, then they are the ones with a problem! I bet thats exactly why it was cut though. What is wrong with society....

I dunno, the ads are showing a pretty long time now..
    Maybe the kid is too old for Santa and he's not interested anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Winking has been declared sexually suggestive to children, they had to cut it. It was making the children all randy. Also, did you think about how your username's going to look after 10,000 posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

That ad is possibly the greatest marketing gimmick ever, how many years is it going now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Chillaxe wrote: »
    That ad is possibly the greatest marketing gimmick ever, how many years is it going now?
    You can say that about every ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 supernewbie

Also, did you think about how your username's going to look after 10,000 posts?

Ya, never really thought of that, TBH Im not that addicted to the internet that I have ever gone above 200 posts on any forum ever....I have a life :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lol, an ADVERT being a MARKETING GIMMICK??!?
    Who would have thought it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Ya, never really thought of that, TBH Im not that addicted to the internet that I have ever gone above 200 posts on any forum ever....I have a life :p

You say that, but within 20 minutes you've already doubled your post count. It's all downhill from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Probably censored in Ireland due to the priests.

• Advertisement

You say that, but within 20 minutes you've already doubled your post count. It's all downhill from here.

Damn you got me there! Gaahh now I've tripled it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Santa's got the pedeo market cornered, I mean what other strange man can enter all childrens bedrooms in the dead of night and not cause an outcry, and of course he knows when you're awake ;). He can have every child sit on his knee and confide their desires in him without fear. He has make believe friends, and can travel the world in one night as well as fit down thousands of chimneys.

Our only consolation is that he can never reproduce as he only comes once a year and that's down the chimney...:D

I say keep him tracked, keep the finger on the button and if he moves an inch off course, nuke the bast*rd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

... if he moves an inch off course, nuke the bast*rd...

All the poor fathers. :pac:

Shame on you Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

:o

Santa's got the pedeo market cornered

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tis the best ad ever. When you see it in August you know Christmas is coming :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

SV wrote: »
    lol, an ADVERT being a MARKETING GIMMICK??!?
    Who would have thought it?!
    OMG IT'S HILARIOUS THAT you mix UPPER with LOWER case TO MAKE A POINT LOLOLZZZZ!!!!!!1111

Anyway, my point was that this ad has been running for 20 odd years and shows no signs of going away. Hence the genius marketing part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

OMG IT'S HILARIOUS THAT you mix UPPER with LOWER case TO MAKE A POINT LOLOLZZZZ!!!!!!1111

Anyway, my point was that this ad has been running for 20 odd years and shows no signs of going away. Hence the genius marketing part.
    WARNING! WARNING! SARCASM OVERLOAD!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One year too many since the previous year - when it was then one year too many too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

That ad makes me want to open a vein....

Saccarin, senitmental, American consumerism at its most nauseating!!!

It is one of my top three most despised Ad's ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What ad is this? I don't think i've ever seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

The song goes 'Holidays are comin, Holidays are comin' in a sappy American accent, it builds into a 'triumphant crescendo' of a choir screaming 'Always the REAL THING, ALWAYS COCA COLA!'

It shows horses or Reindeers or something running through snow, Santy is in there somewhere, all sinister and rosy cheeked, some kid escapes its bedroom and spies on Santy guzzling coke a bottle of pop and later states profoundly 'Ho, Ho, Ho'

They start playing it in July. Its quite menacing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I know of someone whos hairdressers brothers girlfriends father was santy this year,

he was told he could let all the little boys and girls sit on his knee and give them a special present, but for gods sake no winking as it can kill kids

supe-wink.jpg

Advertisement