Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ghost = spirit or soul?

Options
  • 24-12-2009 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

This is something that has bothered me for a while. Is the ghost of a dead person their soul or their spirit (or are these the same thing? :confused:). Like if somebody is haunting a house, does that mean that this person's soul hasn't moved on to the other side, and will they ever move on? Or could it be that their spirit remains but their soul could have moved on? At one's time of death, what determines whether or not that particular person's soul / spirit moves on or remains?
    God, reading over that I'm not sure I really understand my own questions! :rolleyes:
    I'm just confused.....
    Anyone care to shed some light..? Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think Ghost Whisperer has a lot to answer for. :) that show portrays dead people as either passed on to heaven or 'stuck', which is a belief you get a lot of. We argue here all the time over whether ghosts exist and if they do what their nature is. So there are no real answers.

All I will offer is my own opinion which is that ghosts and spirits would seem to me to be entirely different things. One, an echo or recording of a past event, the other would seem to me to be the essence of the person that was, a soul maybe which interacts in real time.

But its only an opinion. Take from it what you will. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

I'd agree, Oryx.
    A ghost seems to be no more than a residual energy from an earlier event - probably traumatic for the individual.
    The Soul would appear to be the eternal, spiritual aspect of Life - just as the body is the physical one.
    The Spirit is who and what we are. Mediums can have a temporary 2-way link with the spirit, but not with ghosts. In the right conditions - mental as well as physical - the individual can often show themselves to grieving loved ones for a few moments, presumably to give comfort and help them to realise that they are very much alive and not far away.
    The transition at death is instantaneous - no one is 'stuck' or 'lost'. We will be in exactly the environment that we have earned for ourselves, though whether we are pleased about this is another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

A ghost would not be a spirit , a ghost would be a body , just like you have a body now , you could also have a body which is not as visible in the spectrum of visible light , a spirit drives a body but a spirit is not a body .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

espinolman wrote: »
    A ghost would not be a spirit , a ghost would be a body , just like you have a body now , you could also have a body which is not as visible in the spectrum of visible light , a spirit drives a body but a spirit is not a body .
    A ghost like figure is reported to be like a real life body but if it was to be anything, it would be energy. Spirit is not an apparation imo.

Absolutely!!
    We already 'have' our next body, being shaped by our life choices. As you say it is not visible to us and will not be, until we change at death.
    We have had/ will have numerous bodies - all driven by the same spirit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

So, if I'm understanding this right, a ghost is like a memory of something the person might have done in their life, e.g. the apparition of a soldier marching through a room would be the ghost of the soldier, but as it's not communicative or interactive in any way, it's not this person's spirit ?

A wee complexity - if an evidential medium were working in the room and the soldier was the communicator, he is likely to want this info to be relayed to the sitter as confirming evidence.
    A ghostlly figure could not do this, not being a living person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i would go with residual energy or some sort of time hiccup if pushed for an answer, obviously theyre just a little out there explanations though

not really a big believer in soul/spirit thing so i tend to think of it in a more scientific sense, or at least try to

indough wrote: »

not really a big believer in soul/spirit thing so i tend to think of it in a more scientific sense, or at least try to

Spirit is not a thing , it is the creator of things .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Spirit is not a thing , it is the creator of things .

in your opinion of course

• Advertisement

A spirit is not something , it is you .

Advertisement