Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Contract. Very much like old contract

Options
  • 23-12-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hey,
    Just got the email from the IMO regarding the labour court deliberations. What do people think ? From what I can see renumeration wise its very similar to the old contact. No pay increase (surprise surprise ). I thought the change from time and a quarter to time and a half would be nice but i worked it out for my hours and after tax,pension levy, budget pay cut et al it comes to a princely 40 euro per month. On a salary cut by 6%. Cant complain about that though, everyone is getting the chop. Worried about this clause that says HSE is going to provide our training. "Replacement of current system of paying vouched training grants with an arrangement whereby HSE would directly provide appropriate training"

What does that mean exactly ? The only thing the HSE ever taught me was the benefits of emigrating. The 5 different areas they asked for money was no/no/no/no. Renegotiating contracts in a recession. Not the best of ideas. Why wasnt the Medical Council fee made part of it ? Its a public organisation now - it should be publicly funded. 550 euro to add a name to a register 4 months late.The locum cover thing is nonsense, once again we will be working while sick. Ive had to cover A&E in the last month with WV bug and it was no joke. This is something that is so dangerous not being able to call in sick. There isnt even any procedure in our hospital to do so for doctors. The IMO really dropped the ball on that one, so much evidence that sick medics were being forced to work spreading infection to their patients 0.5% sick rate for doctors vrs 5 % for nurses and 5.7% for admin.

I think unless the question of who pays the obscene fees for exams/"training" schemes and the issue of sick leave is addressed im voting against this. I dont really care about the money part, never have time to spend it anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DocDaneka wrote: »
    The locum cover thing is nonsense, once again we will be working while sick. Ive had to cover A&E in the last month with WV bug and it was no joke. This is something that is so dangerous not being able to call in sick. There isnt even any procedure in our hospital to do so for doctors. The IMO really dropped the ball on that one, so much evidence that sick medics were being forced to work spreading infection to their patients 0.5% sick rate for doctors vrs 5 % for nurses and 5.7% for admin.
    Then set up a mutual fund. If a train driver hits a person on the tracks, he isn't allowed work for several months (some never go back). He is paid out of a mutual fund, that comes 50% from drivers and 50% from the employer.

Are you entitled to health and safety benefit from the Department of Social Welfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Victor wrote: »
    Then set up a mutual fund. If a train driver hits a person on the tracks, he isn't allowed work for several months (some never go back). He is paid out of a mutual fund, that comes 50% from drivers and 50% from the employer.

Are you entitled to health and safety benefit from the Department of Social Welfare?

The doctors clearly are concerned about getting training (no pun intended:) ) and getting adequate cover if they are sick. Doctors do get sick leave but tend not to take it, and the HSE won't provide cover for doctors that are actually out sick temporarily as it is expected for others to take up the slack, e.g., if someone is out for a few days for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Narkius Maximus

I'm relatively okay with the deliberations. we were never going to get a pay increase or the opeartional increase that the IMO wanted, that was simply ridiculous. We are in a recession, we could never win that fight!
    The training grant issue is a problem, but it may force the HSE into giving a crap about training us! They'll have to negotiate with RCSI/RCPI regarding annual fees. It is a little up in the air for my liking..

Besides the whole system is going to collapse in the next couple of months, I saw a memorandum from a dub hospital that has stated that they will only pay for 44hrs a week (call not included) and have acknowledged that out patients, elective work will suffer. Everyone post call to go home by 11 next day etc etc. Nothing will get done, Budgets before patients. HR/Management trying to look after themselves by going after those who actually give a crap about patients. This is the winter of our malcontent!!

Advertisement