Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there legal grounds for compensation?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

So I just got off the phone with a friend who has just been paid 36 euro of 600-700 euro due for my friends work over the last month. It was their first month in employment with this company [SNIPPED], and this money was pretty much needed for my friends christmas.

From what I have heard the management of [SNIPPED] are saying that this money has gone out of their account and should be transferred to their accounts. What worries me about this is if this is a delay related to the busyness of the banks then why has my friend recieved ANY money at all? Shouldn't the sum just transfer as one amount etc.?

Anyway, any help that can be offered would be great, I also may have not posted in the correct section, but legally I would like to know what can be done about this sort of injustice.

What can be done about this is the short term? I am presuming there is some sort of law or statute that is supporting my friends right to be paid on time, especially given the time of year?

I'm just looking for some advice on how this might be best handled and how I can help my friend put presents under the tree in two days time.

Thanks.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

You can read the charter and advise your friend to seek legal advice. You might also consider the legal consequences of baseless allegations being posted online as I have removed from the Original Post.

I'm re-opening this thread on the basis of being convinced by the OP otherwise. I will do so, simply on the basis of a hypothetical scenario. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks and Happy Christmas.

Tom

In discussion of the topic:
    AnotherYou wrote: »
    Hi,

So I just got off the phone with a friend who has just been paid 36 euro of 600-700 euro due for my friends work over the last month. It was their first month in employment with this company [SNIPPED], and this money was pretty much needed for my friends christmas.

If what is posted above is correct, then a contract of employment subsists.
    From what I have heard the management of [SNIPPED] are saying that this money has gone out of their account and should be transferred to their accounts. What worries me about this is if this is a delay related to the busyness of the banks then why has my friend recieved ANY money at all? Shouldn't the sum just transfer as one amount etc.?

Was there money transferred or not? Yes, the sum should be transferred in one go.
    Anyway, any help that can be offered would be great, I also may have not posted in the correct section, but legally I would like to know what can be done about this sort of injustice.

We don't do legal advice, solicitors do.

What can be done about this is the short term? I am presuming there is some sort of law or statute that is supporting my friends right to be paid on time, especially given the time of year?

Question 1. Nothing in the very short term.
    Question 2. Yes, rafts of employment legislation, on the basis of proper employment terms etc.
    I'm just looking for some advice on how this might be best handled and how I can help my friend put presents under the tree in two days time.

Solicitor post haste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

See Payment of Wages Act 1991

you can complain to a rights commissioner here
    http://www.lrc.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/work/rights_commissioner.htm

Not sure if that would help your friend's relationship with his employer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

gabhain7 wrote: »
    Not sure if that would help your friend's relationship with his employer though.
    But then there would be a victimisation claim to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭AnotherYou

Well my friend was also temporary staff. So there won't be a relationship at all after tomorrow, if they don't get kept on.

Thank you all for what your posting thus far, its worth knowing for anyone in this position.

Advertisement