Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon RFC fined

Options
  • 23-12-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2009/1223/shannon.html

Imagine the outcry had this happened at a soccer match! :eek:

Iv been to a few Shannon games in my time but never seen anything of the sort, was it a really bad ref :) does anyone know?

Maybe this should have been put on the rugby board? sorry mods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yep Clancy from Bruff was the ref. He was shocking! But he shouldnt have faced that much abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The "supporters" making their way into the ref's changing room was a disgrace though.

My own take is that it was a brainless minority, and if any are known to the ref or to the other witnesses of them going into the changing room to dish out abuse, then they should be made known to the club and banned from the club. That way the club is showing that they will not stand for that behaviour plus it would stand to the club for their appeal against the decision.

I think the financial punishment is a bit harsh in it's size, but it is up to the club to ensure that this kind of thing gets stamped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

I can understand Shannon supporters losing the plot but they should have conducted themselves properly like the Irish soccer fans in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Kess73 wrote: »
    The "supporters" making their way into the ref's changing room was a disgrace though.

My own take is that it was a brainless minority, and if any are known to the ref or to the other witnesses of them going into the changing room to dish out abuse, then they should be made known to the club and banned from the club. That way the club is showing that they will not stand for that behaviour plus it would stand to the club for their appeal against the decision.

I think the financial punishment is a bit harsh in it's size, but it is up to the club to ensure that this kind of thing gets stamped out.

I was'nt just a supporter - it was the club President. He being a former referee himself - his behaviour was disgraceful.

It is irrevelent to come out with "he was shocking...etc" He is an IRB Referee. One of the top 18 in the world. I would imagine he knows more about the Laws of the Game that some of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

being a former ref probably meant he had a good knowledge of the rules himself, but i agree it is a disgraceful situation for it to have happened and that is coming from a Shannon supporter

• Advertisement

being a former ref probably meant he had a good knowledge of the rules himself, but i agree it is a disgraceful situation for it to have happened and that is coming from a Shannon supporter

Laws Sparky - Laws - No rules in Rugby. My information is the President was not the best referee himself (never made it beyond Junior Rugby.)

I predict that the appeal will go ahead but Mr President's head will be offered by Shannon RFC to the IRFU and the fine will be reduced (only if the President resigns). The Committee will make sure his pushed if he decides not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

knockon wrote: »
    I was'nt just a supporter - it was the club President. He being a former referee himself - his behaviour was disgraceful.

It is irrevelent to come out with "he was shocking...etc" He is an IRB Referee. One of the top 18 in the world. I would imagine he knows more about the Laws of the Game that some of us.

I had it as "supporters" as I was not sure if it was common knowledge that the club president was among those who barged into the changing room.

I made no comment about the ref's ability though, and I have no doubt that he knows the laws of the game better than any of us on a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

I can understand people losing the plot with a ref if he's robbed you of a game with an awful call near the end, fair enough, but how they got into the changing room and what happend in there is what interests me.

Surely an appeal will see the fine reduced though? cause its some amount.

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    I can understand people losing the plot with a ref if he's robbed you of a game with an awful call near the end, fair enough, but how they got into the changing room and what happend in there is what interests me.

Surely an appeal will see the fine reduced though? cause its some amount.

I don't understand when you say "Robbed you of a game" - Thats just if you pardon the expression S*ite talk because the game is'nt concluded in a fashion that suits you. Maybe someone should fine the back line for being offisde in the first place! The issue is not how an international referee interprets the Laws of this game, it really is a matter of how people behaved afterwards.

I don't understand when you say "Robbed you of a game" - Thats just if you pardon the expression S*ite talk because the game is'nt concluded in a fashion that suits you. .

If a ref makes a poor call which decides the outcome of a tight game surely you would consider yourself "robbed"?

• Advertisement

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    If a ref makes a poor call which decides the outcome of a tight game surely you would consider yourself "robbed"?

No - saying "robbed" is just nodding with the masses and running with the pack. I probably would ask myself a couple of questions.

1. Was the decision correct by the official. i.e. was the ball crooked in the scrum and was number 13 offside.

2. If the decision was correct then the fault rests with the 2 players (the Free kick and the offside penalty).

I suppose I am asking you to justify how you can say "poor call". What information do you have that proves the sanctions were incorrect. I try and teach kids that the if we all played within the Laws of the game there would be no need for a referee. Was the referee incorrect or did the players take the wrong options. I am being a Devils Advocate here.

Then again I'am not a Shannon Supporter so I take what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well from what I heard no supporters made it into the referrees changing room. Only the club chairman who didnt barge in, he knocked and had a few words.

The club chairman also coached that referee at u16 level.

And apparently the chairman is usually someone who never ruffles any feathers so it does seem suprising. I think that article is bit over the top.

And to fine an amateur club 25000 euro is a disgrace imo.

I am not exactly affiliated with an limerick club, but this information i got is from a Shannon man.

No - saying "robbed" is just nodding with the masses and running with the pack. .

Im capable of making my own mind up regarding poor calls from a ref, and your missing my point.

Well from what I heard no supporters made it into the referrees changing room. Only the club chairman who didnt barge in, he knocked and had a few words.

The club chairman also coached that referee at u16 level.

And apparently the chairman is usually someone who never ruffles any feathers so it does seem suprising. I think that article is bit over the top.

And to fine an amateur club 25000 euro is a disgrace imo.

I am not exactly affiliated with an limerick club, but this information i got is from a Shannon man.

It was the Club President and not the Chairman.

He knocked alright but the "few words" (foul language abuse) have cost the club 25K. It was particularily nasty.

Advertisement