Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hydration - how fast does the body absorb water ?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

wondering how fast the body can absorb water ?
    ml per hour ?

for example is there any point gulping down 1000ml if i was dehydrated or would i get the same result from drinking 100ml every 10 mins ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

I would prefer to drink it bit by bit but i hate that "tummy-full-of-water" feeling!!!
    As to which is actually more beneficial, I'm not too sure but I would be leaning towards little and often

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

If I remember correctly from my physiology lectures the body takes at least 30 minutes to absorb water and virtually all the water we consume we absorb. If you're thirsty drink until the feeling goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

it depends on alot of factors, one of the main ones is sodium content of your body, the other one is your LEAN body mass, as to which is more benificial, if you are dehydrated because of excersise etc, and are finishing your excersise up you should go with the first (get as many fluids in as quickly as possible), but during/between excersise you should go with the 2nd option (keeping the body hydrated throughout the excersise).

Advertisement