Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord`s Prayer

Options
  • 23-12-2009 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

After reading through my bible i came across the our father prayer in Matthew 6:9 but if you go back to Mt 6:5 and read through to 6:9 it goes
    like this.

Mt 6:5
    "When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get.

Mt 6:6
    But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

Mt 6:7
    When you pray, don't babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again.

Mt 6:8
    Don't be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!

Mt 6:9
    Pray like this: Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.

It seems to me Jesus was telling his disciples how to pray and that the
    our Father prayer is just a guide on how we should pray.

When praying should we pray for Gods name to be made holy, pray for Gods kingdom to come and pray for those who trespass or sin against us, only as part of our prayer but, not as a prayer its self.

If you go back to Mt 6:7 it tells us when praying not to babble on or keep repeating our words again and again.

If you where to say the catholic rosery you would have to say repeated sequences of the Lords prayer, 10 hail marys, and 1 glory be to the Father.
    Is the way we say the our Father prayer wrong and is it right to keep repeating it ???????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

Well answered Plowman.

The problem with any prayer that is repeated, even occasionally, is that familiarity makes us take it for granted and we can all be guilty of not thinking seriously about what we are praying.

I'd say you will find that the more fundamental/evangelical the gathering, the less likely they will be to use repeated words of prayer. They will still have formal prayer, but it wont involve following a prescriptive prayer.

I personally dont like prescriptive prayer, but I know plenty who take a lot of comfort from it.

Advertisement