Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlerea Ballaghaderreen Road

Options
  • 23-12-2009 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Its a disgrace that this road has not been gritted yet. Loughglynn is deadly dangerous and I even saw a lorry stuck on the barrack hill today. Why is this road not gritted?

Likewise I believe the Castlerea Frenchpark road is in the same boat and a lorry jack knifed there on Sunday night.

Bet Roscommon town has all streets treated!!

This is from AA Roadwatch.

Roscommon - Treacherous road conditions reported on the Castlerea/Frenchpark Rd (R361)[URL="javascript:newWindow('../popmap/map.asp?x=167531&y=280103&id=107101&zoomlevel=5')"]ico_map.gif[/URL]sp01.gifUpdated: 22/12/2009 22:30:30Conditions are also treacherous on the Castlerea/Lough Glynn Rd (R325), Castlerea/Ballaghaderreen Rd (R293) and the Castlerea/Ballyhaunis Rd (N60). Gardai are advising motorists to avoid these roads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The main Ballagh/Dublin road always gets gritted, others not. They'll blame it on reasons of not being able to get to all roads, but maybe if they had done something with the terrible Roscommon roads during the boom years, the main roads might get gritted a little quicker. I live in Roscommon and work in Mayo, my work brings me all over the place, Mayo have a much better track record and its several times the size. Mayo they also don't get to all secondary roads, but all roads between towns get done. Roscommon Co. Co. are the worst in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

it is a complete disgrace. The main road here in Ballinlough is simply an ice rink. I was meant to drive to a friends house in Lisacul, I decided against it thankfully.

As for Roscommon Co Co. Waste of time in a lot of matters.

Was on a lot of roads today, I was in Mayo to collect a car, from there I went to Sligo and back to Roscommon through Boyle. The most threacherous road of the lot was the Boyle/Frenchpark which wasn't gritted at all. I could travel quite safely on Sligo roads which were in great condition. Mayo roads were ok, had been gritted, but icy patches where gritting had worn off by traffic going by Charlestown where the Icy fog was freezing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Roscommon Co. Co. hasn't even fixed the potholes on some of the bigger R-roads yet. How do you expect them to get out and grit things ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

On the Mayo/Ros border. Was astounded to see that on the Mayo side the main roads were gritted and passable, the Roscommon side was lethal and I heard of so many bad accidents on those roads the past week (particularly the Ballaghderreen road).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

At quarter past eight this evening AA roadwatch announced that this road should be avoided. Roscommon Co. Co. whats happening?

Well,

there's 3 cars in the ditch on the stretch from where I live to Roscommon town and that's just 7 km. Actually a guy working for the Co. Co. (van outside the door) lives along the road. Still, they couldn't be arsed to do anything.

I attempted to drive from Carlow back home to Roscommon last night and had to give up, as the roads where pure solid ice. Was better during the day when I took the trip today instead during daytime, but you sure have to be careful.

/M

*ROSCOMMON* Gardai advise against any unnecessary journeys.Avoid the Ballaghadereen/Castlerea Rd(R325,the Boyle/Castlerea Rd(R361)and the Boyle/Gorteen Rd (R294).The Tulsk (R377), Williamstown (R361) & Frenchpark (R361) Rds out of Castlerea are all icy

AA Roadwatch tonight at 21.37.
    Disgrace and rumour that Roscommon Co.Co. have no salt!

This is now beyond a joke

There are several Co Co's run out of salt.

Kerry and Cork have also run out of salt as far as I know. I'd say none of the County Councils had planned for this.

/M

At least the other counties were using it, ours had none on hold yet they know every year it has to be put out.

Not looking good for management in county, first fire service will not answer calls, now roads dept will not grit roads.

• Advertisement

Good news. Gritter has found Loughglynn. Road to Ballaghaderreen might improve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Alessandra wrote: »
    On the Mayo/Ros border. Was astounded to see that on the Mayo side the main roads were gritted and passable, the Roscommon side was lethal and I heard of so many bad accidents on those roads the past week (particularly the Ballaghderreen road).

When Mayo county council went to the bother of gritting the road all the way to the border in Kilmovee, you'd think Roscommon county council would bother doing the other side... Now people will drive halfway to Ballaghaderreen and find the road completely impassable. No co-operation between the two councils whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

No gritting done here all day, roads are getting progressively worse. Footpaths are suicide, it is safer to walk on the road sadly...

Much improved response this year. We saw a gritter/salter on Sunday night and this Road is not too bad this time. However we did wait two days for the first treatment.

On the whole, thumbs up Roscommon Co. Co much improved this year. Keep it up.

Much improved response this year. We saw a gritter/salter on Sunday night and this Road is not too bad this time. However we did wait two days for the first treatment.

On the whole, thumbs up Roscommon Co. Co much improved this year. Keep it up.

Have to agree with this, Roscommon have been superb this time, while Mayo are pathetic this year. I have a friend who's Dad is in the Mayo council, He said an order came from the top management to grit only, no snow ploughing. The Mayo roads are a disgrace in places with snow from 2 days ago still on the road in spots along the Charlestown/swinford bypass

Same here. Thumbs up for Roscommon CoCo. And that's even on secondary routes.

Westmeath however didn't even clear the M6/N6 stretches properly. One lane cleared maybe once today and that's that. Complete disaster until you reach the M4 stretch that is maintained by the tolling Euro-Link guys.

Not even Athlone itself is properly cleared/gritted.

/M

Word has it they've run out of salt, the roads are terribly bad today

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Word has it they've run out of salt, the roads are terribly bad today

Was good while it lasted!! The road through Loughglynn is v slippery now and will get worse!!

Was good while it lasted!! The road through Loughglynn is v slippery now and will get worse!!

Things are very bad at the moment and will get worse. Snow plough before it gets totally stuck on the road??

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

At least the other counties were using it, ours had none on hold yet they know every year it has to be put out.

Not looking good for management in county, first fire service will not answer calls, now roads dept will not grit roads.

Out of interest what call out did the fire service not answer or did you diall 999 and get no reply?

• Advertisement

K2 wrote: »
    Out of interest what call out did the fire service not answer or did you diall 999 and get no reply?

This relates to a post I made about a year ago and as far as I remember a decission was made that calls to the Fire Service regarding flooding were not to be handled by Roscommon Fire Service. If my memory serves me correctly the CFO or the SACFO had to give the approval to CAMP West for mobilisation. The flooding caused serious problems lots of property destroyed. It was widely reported at the time and the rate payers and tax payers of the county were not happy.

that would be correct, unless life is at danger they will not mobilise. Of course there is a duty to protect property but having firemen stood at the door of a house will not stop the water getting in. The council would be a better resourse to use as they will have more pumps and man power, and it would leave the fire brigade free to deal with their "normal" work eg rta's, house fires etc. And of course it wasnt just Roscommon, all 6 counties managed by camp west have this as part of their sops with regards to flooding.

So is it fair to say that the fire service did not answer calls? They won't go to cats stuck up trees either you know!

that would be correct, unless life is at danger they will not mobilise. Of course there is a duty to protect property but having firemen stood at the door of a house will not stop the water getting in. The council would be a better resourse to use as they will have more pumps and man power, and it would leave the fire brigade free to deal with their "normal" work eg rta's, house fires etc. And of course it wasnt just Roscommon, all 6 counties managed by camp west have this as part of their sops with regards to flooding.

So is it fair to say that the fire service did not answer calls? They won't go to cats stuck up trees either you know!

This thread is nothing to do with the Fire Service or the workings of them, if you want to start a discussion on the workings of Roscommon Fire Service jump across to Emergency Services forum. Now lets stay on topic and not start raking up part of a comment made 12 months ago.

I fear you are trolling.

Things are very bad at the moment and will get worse. Snow plough before it gets totally stuck on the road??

The Council have put chips on this road in the last couple of hours so at least we have a grip when driving!

Okay I'll take it slowly this time and maybe you will understand my points -
    First up, the defination of a troll is "someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion" - I do not believe that I have been inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic, you raised the fire service in this discussion ("not start raking up part of a comment made 12 months ago",) not I, so why would I raise it any where else on boards.

Name calling is rather immature don't you think, and really its says a lot about your argument , the lack of.......

And if I am a troll I'm not very prolific, 352 posts in 7 years! Methinks there is a touch of Godwins law in your troll post.

Getting back on topic, You posted something that was partially factual "first fire service will not answer calls" but your implication, whether you ment it or not was that the fire service were not answering calls. It was explained to you in simple terms why the fire service do not go to every call they receive, and it really is very simple, there are other resources that will be employed first or instead. Your example of flooding being one, in fact you would not believe how many people will ring the fire service instead of a plumber when they have a burst pipe in their house, but when you ring one of the regional control centres they will not simply say no, there will be a response, it may not be a fire engine with 5 fire fighters on boards pulling up outside, it may involve the ispca for getting that cat out of the tree or the local authority area office being rung by fire service to deal with flooding. This is the reason for this post, for anyone reading, if you even think you need an emergency service, no matter which one it is, ring them don't feel you are wasting their time or it might be nothing, they will offer assistance. There is great work being done at the moment by all services whether they be local authority, emergency or voluntary services (eg the civil defence are flat out getting health workers around, that translates to getting home helpers to old people stuck in their houses). But if you still feel that the fire service should deal with flooding then raise it with your local councillars, make it an issue at the local elections, but seeing as you mentioned rate payers, how will this extra service be paid for? (remember the bear patrols from the simpsons).

IMO, your moniker is rather apt but remember that old saying, opinions are like arseholes............

Btw regarding the conditions of the roads, I cannot for the life of me understand why the councils (some of which at this stage HAVE run out of salt) are 1. not informing the public so they can understand just how bad the roads are, and 2. why they have not pushed the responsibility for lack of salt back onto the NRA and the transport minister.

Btw regarding the conditions of the roads, I cannot for the life of me understand why the councils (some of which at this stage HAVE run out of salt) are 1. not informing the public so they can understand just how bad the roads are, and 2. why they have not pushed the responsibility for lack of salt back onto the NRA and the transport minister.

The snowplowers were out in full force yesterday, also gritting. I met them 3 times on the N61.

I live pretty remotely, on a small single lane road, but even that road has for once been over with a snowplower. It has not been gritted though, so it could have been a friendly farmer.

As per the grit situation, there was an article on friday in the irish times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1217/1224285733797.html

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The snowplowers were out in full force yesterday, also gritting. I met them 3 times on the N61.

I live pretty remotely, on a small single lane road, but even that road has for once been over with a snowplower. It has not been gritted though, so it could have been a friendly farmer.

As per the grit situation, there was an article on friday in the irish times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1217/1224285733797.html

/M

The best thing for the roads at the minute is a good application of chips as they will give grip on the roads that are totally compacted with ice. The roads that have had the salt applications and are clear of snow need to continue getting the salt though.

I was hoping to see the grader on the R325 as it would do a good job breaking up the compacted ice & snow.

Re your article, that O Neill fella PR man for NRA is playing a blinder for the NRA he has a great way of telling us we have no salt!!!

Advertisement