Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wanna quit smoking...

Options
  • 22-12-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭

ok, I will make this brief.

I am 30 - been smoking since 18. Gave them up at 24 - back on them at 27.
    Before I gave them up I just got in the mind frame - worried about my skin and I started enjoying them less and less. Read Alan Carr's book and stopped smoking 1/4 way through the book. But I have the right frame of mind long before I started reading it.

Then after a major crisis I went back on them but now I am a heavy smoker (20 a day) whereas before I was a habitual smoker.
    There is a little part of me wants to give them up but not enough to make me wanna try quitting.
    I like my fags so much - 1st thing in the morning, when driving, sitting with my BF on the couch.. but I feel know how stupid it is and just cant seem to get into the mind frame to quit.

Anyone been in this situation and if so how did you get out of it ie: get into the mind frame of quitting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Haven’t posted in this forum before but I quit in January after being on 30+ per day for 20 years.

Champix was what did it for me. It’s a drug you can get on prescription from your doctor. You start taking it about a week before you want to quit and over the course of the week you gradually want to smoke less and less. It’s not nicotine replacement either so you don’t get the same cravings as you would on the patches. I can highly recommend it – I haven’t had a single cigarette since the 10th of January and I don’t miss them. Stopped taking the pills in april too. And I didn't need to get myself into any particular mind-frame. I just heard about these pills and thought I'd give them a go, not particularly optimistic about them, just open-minded.

Some people get various side effects from the drug – I used to get a big of nausea for 5 minutes after taking the pill in the morning – some side effects are more severe. I think it’s worth the risk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks - my mate used them - she was off the fags while taking the drug and back on them shortly after no longer taking the meds.
    I guess it depends on one self,
    Maybe they would help me give them up initially but to stay off them I would say I need to change my mind set as I am a smoker for psychological reasons as well and no drug can cure that.

Yeah I know what you mean. Champix (or any other quitting aid) isn't a magical cure. It just made it that bit easier for me. Gave me the edge I needed.

Just take it 5 minutes at a time - see the "One day" thread on here for some inspiration.

Promac wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean. Champix (or any other quitting aid) isn't a magical cure. It just made it that bit easier for me. Gave me the edge I needed.

Just take it 5 minutes at a time - see the "One day" thread on here for some inspiration.

thanks - and TBH I will not really start to work on this till after xmas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Friday73

Was a smoker on and off through out the years, this time been off them 8 years, last time I thought I would never be able to quit as I was smoking way too much. Anyway, from my experience what never worked, (and believe me others have tried it too!lol) is when you buy a box and say to yourself "once I've smoked the last one, I'll quit!" That only lasts for a few hours, by then you have given into the cravings, bought another box and repeated to yourself "once I've smoked the last one, I'll quit!"lol I just went cold turkey, the last cigarette I had was before going to bed one night (had a half box of cigarettes still left over), the next day the battle to stay off them commenced. I think it's best not to take the odd puff here and there, it prolongs the agony and might as well be smoking full time. More importantly, do not be surprised if you feel awful and cough up a lot of muck, it's your lungs clearing themselves out. Lasted a good few weeks with me. Finally, once you are off cigarettes, don't accept one, I did after three years and I was back to square one again. Once off them, stay off them! Anyway, best of luck, and if you don't succeed, try again, and again, and again!lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 finnharps09

Those pills you can get to help you stop smoking don't work too well, a friend spent a small fortune on them over the last few months and he still can't quit. Still smoking like a trooper...Useless

Those pills you can get to help you stop smoking don't work too well, a friend spent a small fortune on them over the last few months and he still can't quit. Still smoking like a trooper...Useless

Worked great for me. Very little will power required and I'm still smoke-free after 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

I tried Champix over a year ago and it didn't work for me. Tried again last May and this time it worked - I'm off the smokes now over 7 months. You need to be in the right frame of mind before taking them and will power is still required.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Hi Sporina,
    I think that you gave up the smokes prematurely in that you should have waited until you had finished the Alan Carr Book.

I smoked from 13yrs till 43 and am off them 5 yrs now. I found the Alan Carr Book & Course great but during the process I I relapsed a few times but just got back reading it and reading it again & again.

I am probably a little slow but I found that each time I reread to book I found things I'd missed and I also found it motivational in that I was using the book a motivator.

during the process when I could'nt read the book I would go through lists in my mind.

Why do I smoke ?
    Does it make me look better?
    Does it make me better in bed?
    Will it make me richer?
    Will I be more attractive to women?
    Will I live longer?
    etc, etc...

I would go through all of the logical steps to determine why I still smoked - 1 Reason only - I was addicted to nicotine.

I would also go through all the benefits that would accrue when I had escaped from smoking...
    Health -I would list every organ and disease that would be effected by smoking;
    Wealth - I would calculate out every penny I had spent (At todays prices!) on cigerettes ( I was on about 50 / day when I quit!)
    Homelife - I wanted to have kids but did'nt want them to have a smoker as a father and smoking at home was starting to become an issue;
    Appearance, smell, fingers, etc etc

I could go on amnd on but my best`advice is to go back to the Alan Carr book and read it again and again and again. With Alan Carr its not willpower or substitutes - Its motivation and positive brainwashing and it does make it easy!

Best of luck.

Hi Sporina,
    I think that you gave up the smokes prematurely in that you should have waited until you had finished the Alan Carr Book.

I smoked from 13yrs till 43 and am off them 5 yrs now. I found the Alan Carr Book & Course great but during the process I I relapsed a few times but just got back reading it and reading it again & again.

I am probably a little slow but I found that each time I reread to book I found things I'd missed and I also found it motivational in that I was using the book a motivator.

during the process when I could'nt read the book I would go through lists in my mind.

Why do I smoke ?
    Does it make me look better?
    Does it make me better in bed?
    Will it make me richer?
    Will I be more attractive to women?
    Will I live longer?
    etc, etc...

I would go through all of the logical steps to determine why I still smoked - 1 Reason only - I was addicted to nicotine.

I would also go through all the benefits that would accrue when I had escaped from smoking...
    Health -I would list every organ and disease that would be effected by smoking;
    Wealth - I would calculate out every penny I had spent (At todays prices!) on cigerettes ( I was on about 50 / day when I quit!)
    Homelife - I wanted to have kids but did'nt want them to have a smoker as a father and smoking at home was starting to become an issue;
    Appearance, smell, fingers, etc etc

I could go on amnd on but my best`advice is to go back to the Alan Carr book and read it again and again and again. With Alan Carr its not willpower or substitutes - Its motivation and positive brainwashing and it does make it easy!

Best of luck.

thanks.
    I do not think i quit prematurely - I honesty remember not wanting to smoke.
    But you are right - it was great and I still have the book - TBH I took it out of the box I had it stored in and left it on the kitchen counter for me to read. That was 3 months ago - it went back into a press unread - but it will come out again and this time I will read it.
    Also funny you should say +ve brain washing - I use to describe it as "debrainwashing" if there is such a word...

and I will remember your tips..

thanks again.
    New year - not new years day but in Jan 2010 I will start to read the book again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

you are right to avoid giving them up on new years day - all you are doing is lining yourself up for a fall. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you go on the Champix watch out for what it'll do to your motivation, not to quit, but to do anything else. A guy I know found they worked first time around for him, but he faltered. The following year he tried another course and ended up spending his entire evening on the couch, completely disinterested in anything - as soon as he stopped taking them he was back to himself but soon faltered again and is currently planning on going cold turkey in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 31 finnharps09

Would never have believed it, but friend got hypnotised for 1 hour and stopped smoking straight away?

Would never have believed it, but friend got hypnotised for 1 hour and stopped smoking straight away?

really by whom? and how much? where?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I went to the shop today and asked around at work if anyone wanted anything, 1 woman wanted 20 smokes, and handed me 8.50. Last notion I had was they were around a fiver. (I can hear the smokers saying "I wish" from here)

if you smoke 20 a day, for a year, you spend over 3 grand. There's a motivational point for starters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭jazzlewazzle

EL_Loco wrote: »
    I went to the shop today and asked around at work if anyone wanted anything, 1 woman wanted 20 smokes, and handed me 8.50. Last notion I had was they were around a fiver. (I can hear the smokers saying "I wish" from here)

if you smoke 20 a day, for a year, you spend over 3 grand. There's a motivational point for starters. :)

it does not work that way unfortunately..
    you would have to smoke or have an addiction of some kind to understand..
    count your self v v lucky that you have not got any

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

Friend of mine helped me quit in November, had tried a few times to go cold turkey with no success and she really helped. She is doing and event soon if you wanna check it out www.wickedinspired.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

hi ya i was in the same positon as you same age and all. i got the patches.
    i got the strongest box first which last two weeks, then the next box which are lighter for another 2 weeks then the last box of patches which are lighter. that and help from my loving wife and i fought them. i know other people talk about the book but i cant sit still not to mind read a book. hope this a help. best of luck........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I was smoking 40 a day until 7 days ago. And I can tell you now- money is no incentive. I was fully aware I was spending nearly 7 grand a year on cigarettes and I didn't and still don't care. I have given up smoking because I want to. Not because of the money savings. As jazzlewazzle said unless you've been there you will never understand.

Read this. If you can identify with any of my posts then you're an addict yourself :)
    elleelle19 wrote: »
    Friend of mine helped me quit in November, had tried a few times to go cold turkey with no success and she really helped. She is doing and event soon if you wanna check it out www.wickedinspired.com

300 sheets for a session to tell you what you already know? Personally I'll put that 300 to better use. I'm not a believer in self-help seminars - any of them not just quit-smoking ones. If anyone really wants to quit they will. If they don't - they won't and no seminars, therapy, hypnotism, replacement solutions etc will make a blind bit of difference. See above - 40 a day ... Now 0 a day. Money spent on therapies: 0.*

* Willpower required ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SAFC

if you smoke its ur own faul. idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

SAFC - permaban.

Behaviour like that will not be tolerated on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

true enough, not a smoker. Maybe put the money down in the "added bonuses" section.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I am very happy with my new e-cigarette. Almost a week off the real things which is amazing for me. I know some may frown on these gadgets but I now consider them a viable way of quitting by having a replacement that gives you the sensation of smoking plus a nicotine hit to fix your cravings.

I was thinking of doing up an info post on e-cigarettes if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭charliecon

mewso wrote: »
    I am very happy with my new e-cigarette. Almost a week off the real things which is amazing for me. I know some may frown on these gadgets but I now consider them a viable way of quitting by having a replacement that gives you the sensation of smoking plus a nicotine hit to fix your cravings.

I was thinking of doing up an info post on e-cigarettes if anyone is interested.

Agree with you 100% mewso, I have been off the fags since Nov but the cravings were getting really bad so I decided to try the e-cig a fortnight ago - best decision I made since giving up. I can honestly say that I never ever think of smoking now .

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I started smoking at 17. Turned 40 just there in October and come this New Year I decided to give it another go (the weezing was an incentive).

Was off them 2.5 years at one point and found that it was the time i least expected that caught me: I was psyched up for the times I knew i'd be tempted.

Off them now 11 days and satisying the cravings with a Nicorette Inhaler. Seems to do the job for me so far but wont take things for granted. Chest feels far better already and I can smell a smoker from the other side of the room; which I never realised when smoking.

I find that I'm gradually reducing my usage of the inhaler but I anticipate that I'll always keep an inhaler aboout me as an emergency measure if I ever feel like losing the battle.

true enough, not a smoker. Maybe put the money down in the "added bonuses" section.

Darn tooting I will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'm not a believer in self-help seminars - any of them not just quit-smoking ones. If anyone really wants to quit they will. If they don't - they won't and no seminars, therapy, hypnotism, replacement solutions etc will make a blind bit of difference. See above - 40 a day ... Now 0 a day. Money spent on therapies: 0.*

fair play to you, you obviously have great will power and I agree that you have to want to quit to do it but some people just need an extra bit of help. Which I did, didn't stop immediatley just started to not want them as much and gradually not at all which is why I got no withdrawls.

Hope you way work for you :)

elleelle19 wrote: »
    fair play to you, you obviously have great will power and I agree that you have to want to quit to do it but some people just need an extra bit of help. Which I did, didn't stop immediatley just started to not want them as much and gradually not at all which is why I got no withdrawls.

Hope you way work for you :)

I don't really. I just wanted to stop. Like I said - horses for courses - I didn't criticize these self-help courses/books - I just said they're not for me. If they worked for you - great - I'm happy for you :). Everyone has different ways of quitting, different methods that will work. No method is right or wrong - as long as it works :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭jazzlewazzle

mewso wrote: »

hi,

so whats the story with the e cigarette?
    Do you plan to rely on it as a substitute for ever?
    are there -ve health side effects from it? etc..

Advertisement